Opinions on Winterizing My Coop & Run? Northern WI

The corn is high this year, an old wives tale says that how high the corn tassels are is how much snow we will get. The corn around my yard is 6' tall!
It's getting cold here, Central WI, and we are going to have a very cold winter with more snow than usual. I am winterizing the coop, house, and putting up the snow fence this weekend. We may have another Halloween with snow.

* I know that keeping things dry and ventilation is MOST important.
Yes!!
Thank you for posting actual temps. You shouldn't havta worry. Chickens are more hardy than some would think. We here in upstate NY get down to subzero temps , teens, zero, negative ten degrees some weeks during winter some years, -25 to -30 wind-chill. I've had many different breeds of birds even leghorns with floppy combs no probs. Have mostly naked necks now, no probs. I keep my coops open, well ventilated and don't worry about wind, no insulation. No probs. Only thing you havta worry about is the roosters if you have them. Sometimes they can get some frostbite on their combs and wattles, minor and heals up come spring. If you have roosters make sure they can't dip their wattles into their water.

The corn is high this year, an old wives tale says that how high the corn tassels are is how much snow we will get. The corn around my yard is 6' tall!
It's getting cold here, Central WI, and we are going to have a very cold winter with more snow than usual. I am winterizing the coop, house, and putting up the snow fence this weekend. We may have another Halloween with snow.
:lol:
Another year of kids trick or treating in snow suits 😆
My dad has always said, old wives tale also but I've found it to be true along with a few others, "it won't freeze till the swamps are full"..….
Pretty sure I've never saw a freeze here until we've had plenty of fall rain.

Back
Top Bottom