Opinions on worm load?

Is a small worm load acceptable?

• Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Votes: 5 55.6%
  • It's all part of living outside and eating dirt.

Votes: 4 44.4%

• Total voters
For anyone interested; float test results are "WE HAVE ALL OF THE WORMS". Vet suggests panacur might be a bit fiddly as they don't have the chicken one in, so we're going with Flubenvet. I'll likely just practice with the panacur amounts that were kindly calculated for me, and use that next time.

No salmonella though. Not that I expected there to be.

She's also on antibiotics, can't remember if I mentioned that, and I'm trying to help her gain some weight.

Did some reading. Rabbits require 20mg/kg fenbendazole (daily for 9 days as prophylactic, 30 for treatment). Hens require 15-20mg/kg (for 3 days for a variety of worms).

The rabbit tubes are divided into easy to give gradations for 2.5kgs of rabbit. My chickens weigh between 2.25kg and 2.6kg. So... that seems pretty simple once I get the lighter two up to a slightly better weight. Dunno what the vet was worried about.

Did some reading. Rabbits require 20mg/kg fenbendazole (daily for 9 days as prophylactic, 30 for treatment). Hens require 15-20mg/kg (for 3 days for a variety of worms).

The rabbit tubes are divided into easy to give gradations for 2.5kgs of rabbit. My chickens weigh between 2.25kg and 2.6kg. So... that seems pretty simple once I get the lighter two up to a slightly better weight. Dunno what the vet was worried about.
The vet was probably worried about the label.
:confused:

Thanks, I did not know that horse paste in the UK was 18.75! I learned something very helpful, thanks!

So if I were going to use that on my chickens I would give 0.12 ml per pound instead of 0.23 ml per pound.
@Aerliss
This is the dosage for chickens ^^

@Aerliss
This is the dosage for chickens ^^

I looked at that, but ml doesn't work with a paste very well (and I'd have to do conversions with imperial to metric weights). It was easier to look up the actual mg/kg of fenbendazole and see if I could maths it up with the 18.75% (0.188mg/g). But then discovered that the dose for chickens is the same on the high end as rabbits. So using the gradations on the rabbit tube makes more sense than trying to weigh out the right amount in such tiny amounts.

I would squeeze the paste on a plate or spoon or something then use one of these to suck it up.
JPEG_20180616_131914_4014612009919283469.jpg

Back
Top Bottom