Opinions please help!

SugaryinMD

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 16, 2009
Hello, I am located in MD. I have a flock of Phoenix White and Silver. I have never had any problems with them except for predators. My birds are around a year old. Three days ago I went out to feed the chickens. I had them locked in the coop because a recent snow storm collapsed their pen and i did not want hawks to get them while I was at work. When I went to feed and water them I noticed blood droplets on the ground and I noticed one of my white hens had a bloody face. I looked her over and I figured that one of the others must have been pecking her. The next day I fixed their pen and let them back out. At this time the ground was melting and had become very muddy. I fed and watered them and everything seemed fine. I went out in the dusk to lock them in for the night and found my white hen wandering around in the pen (the others had already went in for the night) squawking like she was not well. She was up and walking on her own. I picked her up and brought her into the house and put her in a box with a towel and some food and water. She was not eating and was just sitting there. So I force fed her some water and she appeared to be doing better. She kept doing this weird thing with her neck. Like bending it back wards towards her back. and her face looked redder then usual. I figured that the other chickens were picking on her. She seemed to be doing better and was keeping her eyes open so I let her rest. My boyfriend told me that she was thrashing around. But when I would look in on her she was just sitting there. Then about a hour later I looked in on her and she had passed away. I was sad.

Went out the next day, and fed and watered them like usual. Everything seemed fine.

Went out this morning and found two dead (one roo and one hen) in the pen. Yesterday they were not exhibiting any symptoms. I am very worried about what might be causing this. I did not see either of the two dead ones bleeding from the nostrils. or anything they were just dead. I live in a very wooded area and a lot of hawks and owls and other birds are around. Also other wild life such as fox and racoons as well.

I am worried that my other 5 chickens will succumb to this. What should I do? I just gave the rest of them water with Sulmet in it because that is what the guy at the feed store told me to do.

I have on photos, I am sorry.

Thanks

Last edited:
Let me add that I have not noticed any coughing from any of the birds and the bird that I brought in the house had a horrible horrible smell to her. I cannot tell what their poop is like because everything around here is total mud because of the melting snow.

I am so sorry for your loss. I don't know the answer but I will bump you up. Hope you get the answers you need.
fl.gif

I just did a quick search, remember something with a bad smell. Coryza, will make the birds head smell like something dead, if that is it. -Do the other birds have a smell to them? If not, it is not this.

Also, with the eyes, did you notice if they were watery or cloudy?

Last edited:
I would not be using sulmet to treat them. Sulmet is used mostly for Cocci, and is harsh on the birds system/intestines. What color is their poop too? If you have seen it.

That dead odor is what all the ones who died stunk from. It was horrible smelling. The coop smells of it now too.

Back
Top Bottom