1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Opinions please

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Kitt, Jun 23, 2011.

1. Kitt

Kitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Texas
    A few weeks back, I went to buy chicks and saw these 2 were so bad. Covered in dried poo and the white one couldn't walk. Now it can walk but it just don't seem quite right. The black one (was told it was blue) had a wing ripped off by a cat. I was told the white one is a splash but to me it looks like a split. What does everyone think? I also think the the white one is a boy and the black a girl. (which I am prob wrong). Will these 2 ever be able to live in the silkie pen or should they have a separate area? They have both gained a lot of weight and the feathers look so much better than when I got them. It's amazing what good food and a clean place to live does for a chick.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. lburress

lburress Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2011
    Wichita
    Hi there,

I think that when they get full grown they will be able to be in a coop with the population. Way to go on saving them. They are quite adorable!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Oh those poor babies! Bless you Kitt for giving them a loving home. [​IMG]

I'm horrible on sexing silkies. I basically gave up on my two and just waited until they started laying eggs to know for sure. Thankfully, both did start laying even though most folks told me that one was a cockerel.

I would guess that you are right. The white one is a roo, black a pullet.

I don't see any reason why they couldn't live with the rest of your silkies after their quarantine and with proper introductions. My two live with the rest of the flock of mixed breeds.

4. Kitt

Apr 1, 2011
    Texas
    The lady called the white one a splash. To me it looks more like a split. what do you think?

5. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    Glad you got em and helped the cutties out. They look sweet.
    Not sure on the white one but she/he looks cool with the color affect on the wings.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Kitt, I don't know enough about the breed to say. I only got silkies because I was desperate for a broody. The joke was on me. Only one of the silkies has ever gone broody; instead I have a bunch of manic-broody salmon faverolles.

7. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Kitt, I say another 2-3 weeks of TLC and then to a separate area. Except by then, it's going to be 115F in the shade. So maybe stretch the time even to Oct? Poor babes, good thing you came along to rescue them. [​IMG]

Now, if you DO have to keep them in the house longer.... show MIL where to attach the handle and SHE can clean the toilets! (just kidding, [​IMG] )

8. epeloquin

epeloquin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western Massachusetts
    Eeech! The light one looks like Zsa Zsa Gabor and the dark one looks like Don King!!!

[​IMG]

9. Cetawin

Cetawin Chicken Beader

Mar 20, 2008
    NW Kentucky
    awwwww the white one could be a splash but it is without question a boy. There looks to be a nice walnut comb starting to pop up there. They should do fine after some more TLC and time. What a good heart you have to rescue those babies kudos to you.

and epeloquin that is not Don King....this is: (seriously unless it is a girl and then it will be Donna King or what we call the baby now DK) [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  10. Kitt

Apr 1, 2011
    Texas
    Quote:Ranchy, you have got to be kidding. [​IMG] My MIL doing manual labor!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

Oh they will stay in the house for a while longer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by