Opinions wanted

trudyg

Crowing
10 Years
Jun 3, 2013
North Alabama
I want a flock for eggs and meat. I already had heavies, so I got some bantams (silkies) to be brooders and then a fox got all but 2 of the heavies. So, now, the only males I have are bantams (7 of them), 5 bantam pullets and 2 big hens. Can a bantam cock breed a full-size hen? One is pretty big, the other not quite so large, so maybe if I keep the largest cockerel? Also, they have feathered feet, which I didn't realize means they need special foot care and tend to get scaly mites, so I'm not too enthused about them anymore. So, will I ever realize meat birds from this mix, do you think? Eggs, probably, and I'm good with small ones, but now I hear they aren't great layers since they stop to go broody. I didn't do my homework, obviously. I'm okay with keeping the pullets and one cockerel, if one shows he's able to manage a full size hen. If not, then I may just get another order of dual purpose and cross my fingers I get a good roo. Any thoughts? And, yes, I would keep the bantam pullets apart from the larger roo, if that is what I do.

I'd get more chicks, those Silkie roosters won't produce the birds you want, crossing with standard hens. Have a breeding group of Silkies, if you want, and then standard rooster(s) for your big birds. And research breed types before ordering more!
And make sure your birds are safe first!

Could/would the silkie male breed an LF female? Yes. But according to what you're saying, this won't produce the birds you desire. I agree with FP, get a dual purpose breed that you've researched into, knowing that it fits your needs

Back
Top Bottom