Opisthotonos in Duck.

Isaac 0

Enabler
7 Years
Jul 19, 2016
Iowa
This thread is mainly as a reference for people experiencing the same problem in the future, so if you don't like seeing dead body parts, you'll want to move on.

I came home from work earlier today and found this girl laying out in the yard, rigor mortis had already set in, but her body temperature was still warm so I suspect she has been dead for a couple of hours of so. Onsight, she was portraying signs of Opisthotonos (Head Severely Angled Backwards).

duck45.JPG

Besides the noticeable "Opisthotonos", externally all appeared to be normal, besides the minor abrasions located near the phalanges, which makes me believe she had been having a seizure prior to her death, as the abrasions were a result of her flapping her wings.

DSC02007.JPG

I made a small incision with a scalpel near her cloaca, and worked my way up her body, and then found several lash eggs, worker my way up further, and found a slightly discolored liver, as well as hard tumor-like plaque around her intestines- (Pictures shown below.

DSC02025.JPG

DSC02029.JPG

DSC02022.JPG

I'm by no means an expert, but it appears she has some sort of systemic infection, that was causing her to develop these lash eggs as a immune response (sort of like the core with Bumblefoot)

This thread is mainly as a reference for people experiencing the same problem in the future, so if you don't like seeing dead body parts, you'll want to move on.

I came home from work earlier today and found this girl laying out in the yard, rigor mortis had already set in, but her body temperature was still warm so I suspect she has been dead for a couple of hours of so. Onsight, she was portraying signs of Opisthotonos (Head Severely Angled Backwards).

Besides the noticeable "Opisthotonos", externally all appeared to be normal, besides the minor abrasions located near the phalanges, which makes me believe she had been having a seizure prior to her death, as the abrasions were a result of her flapping her wings.

I made a small incision with a scalpel near her cloaca, and worked my way up her body, and then found several lash eggs, worker my way up further, and found a slightly discolored liver, as well as hard tumor-like plaque around her intestines- (Pictures shown below.

I'm by no means an expert, but it appears she has some sort of systemic infection, that was causing her to develop these lash eggs as a immune response (sort of like the core with Bumblefoot)
WOW WOW Thank you for that. Very good job on the Necropsy. Very detailed. My ducks have died in the twisted neck toward the tail and my problem was Botulinum toxin on Necropsy. Thanks again. Sorry for your hen.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom