Opossum Attack, Really!?

americanchicks

Songster
11 Years
Jun 26, 2012
Buckley, Wa
HI all.
Thursday night was crazy. About 7:30 had went to shut the pen and coop door. Noticed that two hens where on the front deck sitting in the pouring rain. I fig that my niece had shut the door when she come over that after noon. Strange the door was open even more strange is that the coop was empty. After getting my hubby and some flashlights the search began. Found them scattered all over. One huddled in the far corner of the pen. two on the hill slope, one by the pump house. Found 10 out of 12. After over an hour and being soaked decided to call it a night.

Was in bed almost asleep when a flashlight in the window woke me. My husband, who was still awake, told me "Found your predator." Walked me out to the pen and told me that he heard a chicken screaming ran out to check. There it was an opossum holding my BR by the leg. Wont go into details but lets just say that opossum will not bother the hens again. Besides being shook up my BR was fine and I put her back in the coop.

Yesterday morning was bitter sweet. One of the two missing chickens was out in font, very wet but unharmed. Still missing was my very fave hen Phoebe. Well a few hours latter there she was in the front yard and I could tell right away she had been hurt. She had a good size tear on her neck. Well we fixed it up the best we can and she is on antibiotics. Fingers crossed that she will be ok.

Still cant believe an opossum did all this. Anyone else had one attack full grown chickens?

How's the one that got the worse attack? Do you know how the opossum got in?
At least you found all of your chickens. Hope they are all doing well.

Raccoons can be terrible, but opossums are bad too. It's winter and the critters are having a hard time out there, and chickens are easy. I would keep your flock in their safe coop and run for at least a few days, and set live traps, to make sure you have any other visitors lurking around right now.
Mary

How's the one that got the worse attack? Do you know how the opossum got in?
At least you found all of your chickens. Hope they are all doing well.

He got in through the hen entrance. Was closed but not latched. Needless to say I latch it now.

Phoebe is doing fantastic. Her wound is healing well and she is on antibiotics I got from the vet. She has one more day of antibiotics then back to join the flock. I do think her personality helped. So laid back and calm while we treated her. She is the only one I have that loves to came in the house. She lets my 5 year old pick her up and comes when called. She's not really afraid of anything which is prob why she got caught by the opossum. Maybe she thought he was the cat.

So glad to hear they survived! We have fort Knox so predators typically cannot get in. We had one 6-7 month old possum get into run when chickens were asleep and locked in their coop. It was a young one. Needless to say it did not make it out.

So glad to hear they survived! We have fort Knox so predators typically cannot get in. We had one 6-7 month old possum get into run when chickens were asleep and locked in their coop. It was a young one. Needless to say it did not make it out.
Do you have your set up posted? I would like to see it. My hubby thinks spending more money is crazy though - but I come back with "They are defenseless!"

YES! Had one rooster killed and another injured last week in what we thought was a secure set up. It has since been redone. Pretty sure it's safe now. Our possum will not ever kill another chicken again, either.

And, Soon2Be - I reworked our run for pennies with what was, in retail prices, at least $100 worth of fencing and wire. Auctions and the scrapyard are a great place to find materials for cheap!

Last edited:
Last summer I had one around my coopso I put out ammonia with a few moth balls it worked make sure you used containers with covers just poke holes I put them all around the coop and the run they hate the smell

Back
Top Bottom