Opposum in the chicken yard,

Joe Prepper

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 26, 2013
South Alabama
I went out tonight to lock the chicken coop a little late and my dogs were going nuts. Long story short, a mama opossum was on the steps leading into the chicken coop where everyone was fast asleep. A few weeks ago we lost all but one egg from a brood hen who fought something off losing feathers and leaving fur behind. Sadly it was a mama opossum. Scatter gun and a shovel ended the confrontation. Can't have mama teaching a litter that my chicken yard is a buffet. No so glamorous part of rasing and caring for animals. Everything eats chicken.

We just recently caught one in the coop! We were a little late locking it up, so our fault really.We have since installed an auto door opener/closer. Glad your chicks were all safe, but sorry about the eggs. They are pretty ugly creatures.

We caught one in the coop last year. They are slow and not so bright, but they are sure to come back for a chicken and egg buffet. I wanted to kill it, but I am an animal lover and I could not bring myself to do it. So, in the cage, I had my dogs harass it, as well as myself. I then drove it a few miles down the road, on the other side of the interstate and released it. No opossum since. Now if I could get rid of this **** raccoon!

You are right EVERYTHING loves chickens.

Back
Top Bottom