Opposum in the chicken yard,

Joe Prepper

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 26, 2013
South Alabama
I went out tonight to lock the chicken coop a little late and my dogs were going nuts. Long story short, a mama opossum was on the steps leading into the chicken coop where everyone was fast asleep. A few weeks ago we lost all but one egg from a brood hen who fought something off losing feathers and leaving fur behind. Sadly it was a mama opossum. Scatter gun and a shovel ended the confrontation. Can't have mama teaching a litter that my chicken yard is a buffet. No so glamorous part of rasing and caring for animals. Everything eats chicken.

PandoraChick

Songster
8 Years
Apr 5, 2011
The Dunes Indiana!

We just recently caught one in the coop! We were a little late locking it up, so our fault really.We have since installed an auto door opener/closer. Glad your chicks were all safe, but sorry about the eggs. They are pretty ugly creatures.

NoelleBP

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 23, 2013
Georgia
We caught one in the coop last year. They are slow and not so bright, but they are sure to come back for a chicken and egg buffet. I wanted to kill it, but I am an animal lover and I could not bring myself to do it. So, in the cage, I had my dogs harass it, as well as myself. I then drove it a few miles down the road, on the other side of the interstate and released it. No opossum since. Now if I could get rid of this **** raccoon!

You are right EVERYTHING loves chickens.

Top Bottom