1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Orange County California

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by seanengler, May 23, 2010.

1. DOnSoCalOC

DOnSoCalOC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Thank you. I haven't given up. I see no reason in this ordinance that backs up not having a chicken...as a pet and not for commercial use. I understand the OC laws about 100' away from a dwelling place etc., but...and that's a BIG BUT, this FV ordinance clearly states that you can have a pet not for commercial use. Hmmm.

I have no idea how to do a petition or get this ordinance changed/clarified.

I have a friend who had 2 chickens across the street from me. She moved to HB and has one still. Neighbors complained and she had to get a permit to have her chicken as a pet. We shall see what we shall see.

2. DOnSoCalOC

Oct 27, 2010
    There are a few families in Fountain Valley that have BYC, and guess what...so do we! We just acquired 6 little ones, that live inside the garage (for now), so they are not outside pets. LOL. We have an Americauna, a Black Jersey Giant, a Barred rock, a Partridge Rock, a Light Brahma, and a Golden Laced Wyandotte. I had originally drove up to pick up some Red Star Sexlinks, but ended up with this bunch of lil' gals after seeing the adult hens. So now our family is an official member of "Team Cluck!" Now I have to figure out how to upload my images to share.

Thank you BYC for all of the supportive information!

[​IMG]

3. DOnSoCalOC

Oct 27, 2010
    Quote:I just came back in here after finding your posting on an Internet search because we are contemplating moving to your area. This is VERY encouraging to help us in make our decision. Thank you! [​IMG]

4. getsprung

getsprung New Egg

Apr 6, 2012
    I am also in Fountain Valley and would love to have a few chickens. Are they hard to raise and maintain? Are you eggs good? Can you give me any advice about the best place to keep them in the yard. I don't want to tick off the neighbors but having fresh eggs would be so nice for my family.

5. socalidays

socalidays New Egg

Jun 4, 2012
    Have 4 chickens in Costa Mesa CA. We've had them for 2+ years no problems. City only allows females and they are registered as non domestic pets. When we first looked into doing this legally the city code enforcment dept. said no way. Contacted the city police dept and they were very helpful. Sent us the non-domestic animal form and sent an animal control officer to make sure we had a good home setup for them. Laws are different city by city and I'd suggest doing it legally rather than having to find homes for your birds after the fact (or eat them). Eventually they stop producing as many eggs and that's the time to cook them and get new birds. My kids are very attached to our girls and so ours get a free ride. Registration is around $12 for two years. Next project getting goats approved.

Pros: It's been a great experience for our kids. Eggs.

Cons: Cleaning chicken run & coop, washing the birds, when our girls squawk we do our best to hush them so they wont annoy our neighbors, cost of feed.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  6. socalidays

socalidays New Egg

Jun 4, 2012
    Should also mention... It's suggested to get an even number of birds so one bird doesn't get picked on by the others. Chickens should be washed every couple weeks to prevents diseases etc. Check their combs for discoloration or other signs of infection. You can google search a lot of the common things to watch for.

Building a coop is great family project. Our coop is about 4x4 raised with a heat lamp to help with egg production (they can handle snow and low temps very well). Run is 6x10. If I were to build one again I'd make it slightly smaller (although they like space) and add wheels to make a "chicken tractor". Look them up on the web. I really don't like the tiny cages I see advertised for chickens on the web, it's not enough space.

We have 2 Rhode Island Reds, Americana, and a Bared rock. Not saying this holds true to all from these breeds, but of our 4 the RRs produce best. Amercana has cool colorful eggs (greenish hue). Our Bared rock just seems less smart than the others go figure..

More sunlight = more eggs. So they produce less in the winter.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2012
  7. Pastor Ken

Pastor Ken New Egg

Jun 26, 2012
    Really enjoyed reading this thread and hearing about all my So. Cal neighbors enjoying their pets.

Question: Anyone in Lake Forest have BYC?

Ken

8. davidmorison

davidmorison New Egg

Jul 1, 2012
  9. DOnSoCalOC

Oct 27, 2010

They aren't too hard to raise/maintain, but we have found that it is more than what we thought it would be. For instance we cannot go on vacation unless someone stays home with them. We let them out of their coop around 7AM; we have black out curtains hanging over screened openings to keep the light out so they sleep a little longer than dawn. Our backyard is pretty good sized, so they roam about and we were tractoring the coop around. Now we have it on the cement next to our bedroom wall so we can listen and it is closer to fetch eggs. We change the straw out of the runs (deep litter style) and the poop trays in the coop get cleaned up at least every other day or daily, as well as the yard. We try to keep them quiet when we are home because 2 of them are noisy after they lay or they get noisy if there is a back up to use the nesting boxes (seems they all like one in particular, but they will go into the other also). We give them special healthy treats from the kitchen, crickets from the pet store on occasion, dried mealworms are a mainstay treat.

Our eggs are eggsellent!!! On occasion we were getting some soft or thin shelled eggs as they were maturing, but now they are all pretty healthy.

Would love to meet up with you and show you what we got goin' on here if you'd like, just as long as you are on the up-and-up, no offense.

10. cedarparkcoop

cedarparkcoop New Egg

Dec 12, 2012

So I don't live in Orange County but I live in the greater Austin, Tx area. I wonder if anyone would interpret the following ordinance for me... Can I or cannot keep chickens? I have three chickens and my backyard is about 50 by 50 feet. I'm pushing the limit on the feet away from property lines requirement but everything else I've met. Recently, however, animal control has given me a notice of violation stating, "fowl on property" as the only reason. What do you folks think?

Sec. 2.05.002 Keeping of fowl

No person shall possess, harbor, or maintain any type of fowl in any area of the corporate limits of the city that is not zoned such as to permit the keeping of fowl (see
    chapter 11 of this code). Where permitted, all fowl shall at all times be confined in a fully enclosed and ventilated or open-air cage, pen, coop, or enclosure and be provided adequate shelter from the elements and a minimum of three (3) square feet of covered floor space per animal sufficient to allow each animal room to move around and stand without crowding each other; however, where permitted on lots of one (1) acre or more, fowl may be kept or harbored free of such confinement, so long as the fowl remains on its owner’s lot. All cages, pens, coops, or enclosures and areas within which fowl are kept or harbored shall contain clean water and suitable food accessible to the fowl and placed such that the fowl cannot defile their contents, shall be at all times kept clean and sanitary in accordance with the health and sanitation laws of the state, shall not expose the animal(s) to undue heat or cold, and shall be a minimum of twenty-five (25) feet away from any property lines.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by