Oranges ???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by cajun1, Oct 12, 2013.

1. cajun1

cajun1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2012
    Idaho
    My friend brought me a box of oranges. I know that I won't eat all of them before they start going bad. Are oranges ok for chickens ? Thanks.

2. cadenlear

cadenlear New Egg

Sep 28, 2013
    no you shoned[​IMG]

3. cackleberrycam

cackleberrycam Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2013
    Oranges are NOT good for chickens. I would not recomend giving chickens any citrus.

4. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I see no reason why they'd be "bad" for them. but in my experience, they don't LIKE to eat Citrus

5. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    I have fed oranges past their prime to chickens for 50 years. And out side of the chickens teeth falling out of their beaks I have not yet seen any problems. [​IMG]

Seriously, oranges are fine for hens and roosters. Cut the orange into thirds or quarters so the birds can get at the flesh of the orange, no peeling needed. I know that chickens will even eat onions if you grind up the onion bulb for them. I have even fed coconuts to my chickens but it is necessary to bust the coconut into several pieces with a hammer so that they can get at the coconut meat before you give the nut to them.

There is one problem with feeding chickens everything from grass clippings to watermelons. The problem say with feeding watermelon rinses is that the chickens will contaminate the food with dirt from the run or coop and spread cocci or blackhead germs. Just feed these foods to your chickens in places where there is little or no dirt or mud present for the chickens to track onto their food. However in the big picture of chicken keeping this is a minor problem.

6. cajun1

cajun1 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2012
    Idaho
    Thanks for your thoughts. Think I may not be feeding these to my flock. Guess I better get to eating some oranges or making orange juice ... :) Thanks.

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    I'd squeeze them and freeze the juice

8. cadenlear

cadenlear New Egg

Sep 28, 2013
    no do not give then ornches[​IMG]

9. hosspak

hosspak Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2013
    Lake Elsinore, CA.
    If you have a lot, go get a few bags of frozen blueberries, blackberries, and strawberries. Mix them all together and can a bunch of mixed-berry jam. It's the best in the whole world... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by