Orchids

SunnySkies

Songster
7 Years
May 13, 2012
Maryland
Ok. I have three. One bloomed for the longest time, then dropped the flowers, a couple lower leaves, and the flower stem shriveled up. I cut it off and that plant has never bloomed again. It grew a couple new leaves. It just sits there.

The second bloomed for quite a while, dropped the flowers, and I got it to rebloom. Those lasted a long time, but it dropped them and now the flower stem is shriveling up. That is a bummer...it was long, with multiple sprays and was quite beautiful. I wanted to try to make it bloom again. But now I think I'll have two that won't bloom.

Third...I bought on sale, had the most beautiful purple striped flowers that started falling within a week, and now the whole thing looks awful.

I use an orchid fertilizer, but maybe not as often as I should. I water once a week with 1-3 ice cubes, depending on the size of the plants. They are in bright, indirect light. The last one was a particular bummer as I put it where I had had the second, and obviously it didn't like that.

Thoughts?

I have 2 orchids and both have had the stems shrivel up, but eventually they grew new stems (think it took about 2 years before it grew a new stem) and bloomed again. I would not use ice cubes, orchids are warm loving plants. I water with cool warm water over the top. You should repot once a year with fresh phalaenopsis mix (make sure to soak it over night in warm water before replanting), after it is finished blooming. As for lighting, mine is in my kitchen window that gets sun as soon as it comes up in the morning and lasts for about 3-4 hours of direct light.

I will repot them, and I moved them to a different window. I read the bag of fertilizer I have, and it might be best to get a general orchid fertilizer, as the one I have is for blooming orchids.

Sometimes I have used just water, and I honestly can't tell a difference when I do that versus using an ice cube.

The first one has grown another leaf. Sigh. Wish it would grow a stem and some flowers! I can't even remember now what color flowers that one has.

Give it time, mine took 2 years before it grew a new stem and bloomed. I was so elated when I saw the new stem, cannot remember when I first noticed it but by January it was 5 inches tall and bloomed by March. I did cut the old shriveled up stem to the base of the plant long before it grew a new one. As for watering and sunlight, you gotta do what you think is best for your plant. Climate has a lot to do with it as well. If after repotting and a new location you are still having troubles, you may want to find a master gardener in your area that can assist you further.

Back
Top Bottom