Order pullets or straight run chicks?

Do you have a plan for the males you’ll be hatching out? If you want cockerels for putting in the freezer, I’d say go for the straight run. If you want to control the number of males you bring in, get pullets.

If you don’t have an exit plan for excess cockerels, I would suggest you don’t set any more eggs until you figure that out.

^^Absolutely.

I want three more females. I'd love to hatch 3 eggs. I don't want any more cockerels (I have one). So, going for two out of three, I'm going to buy sexed pullet chicks. Not a guarantee of no males, but I want to start with chicks.

Do you have a plan for the males you’ll be hatching out? If you want cockerels for putting in the freezer, I’d say go for the straight run. If you want to control the number of males you bring in, get pullets.

If you don’t have an exit plan for excess cockerels, I would suggest you don’t set any more eggs until you figure that out.
Thanks for your reply. Yep, I've got a plan. I'd just rather not have to put it in play. :)

^^Absolutely.

I want three more females. I'd love to hatch 3 eggs. I don't want any more cockerels (I have one). So, going for two out of three, I'm going to buy sexed pullet chicks. Not a guarantee of no males, but I want to start with chicks.
I like the idea of chicks, too. And I guess that's a good thing. I just got an email from the hatchery that they only sell day-old chicks and pullet just refers to females. Learned something new already today. :)

Sometimes the nomenclature is confusing, especially to new chicken owners. Before I had chickens, I knew there were roosters (boys) and hens (girls). I caught on that cockerels were boys, but didn't know that it specifically meant boys up to 1 year old. Pullet? Huh? What's that? Ah! Girls up to one year old are pullets.

I look at it this way: when my chickens turn one year old in March, I have an excuse to have a party for their "promotions" to rooster and hens.

I'm already starting to worry about integrating all different ages.
You should be.....might want to slow down.
Are thee your first birds?
How big is your coop and run?
Can they be split for introductions?

Ditto Dat!!!^^^

You should be.....might want to slow down.
Are thee your first birds?
How big is your coop and run?
Can they be split for introductions?

Ditto Dat!!!^^^
Thanks aart. I did have chickens about 15 years ago. But I bought all the chicks at the same time. This time someone gave us these eggs. Not an optimum time, but it is what it is. The chicken house is 8x8 with an outside attached run the same size. They will be free ranging however once the weather is much better. But they are staying in the house until fully feathered. Yes, they can be separated for introductions. Since I want more than 5 chickens (and who knows how many of these little guys are roosters) I'm going to have to mix different ages at some point. Would a month's difference in age be a bigger problem than waiting a few months to get more chicks?

I personally prefer pullets (older female chickens) over chicks. If cost is a concern, pullets can cost up to 10 times more than chicks ($4 per chick vs $40 per pullet). Plus, like someone mentioned, they cost way more to ship. Luckily, you can drive to the farm, so no shipping costs.

Back
Top Bottom