Ordered my 2022 flock

I won't be ordering chicks. If I get any, it'll be if I get a broody hen. I was thinking of the Buff Orp over ? I'd like to hatch if I do get a broody. Since it's a few months in the future, if it happens at all, here's what I'd hatch (I just have one roo, Buff Orp):

Little, Black Australorp; she has the best personality of my Blacks

Stormy, Blue Jersey Giant; best personality of the JGs

May, Blue JG; prettiest color of the JGs

Widget, Jubilee Orpington; only Jubilee, and I think the color mix would be pretty.

This is just "I can't get to sleep, so I'll think about chicks" thinking right now.

Nice choices! Have you had California whites before? What are they like?

I have one.

Personality-wise she's a character. Bold, curious, and able to fly like a helicopter -- not just out of the pen, but back in when she chooses to (the only one who understands that she can fly back in after getting out instead of pacing around the fence complaining).

Production-wise, she's an absolute machine for the production of 65g, white eggs. From her first egg in December 2020 to Sept 2021 she missed only 4-5 days laying. Since then, she *may* be molting she "only" lays 6 out of 7 or, perhaps, 13 out of 14 days.

I use her eggs as the reference egg to compare the rest of the flock's eggs to because she's so remarkably consistent between 64 and 66g -- aka, a perfect Large.

I have one.

Personality-wise she's a character. Bold, curious, and able to fly like a helicopter -- not just out of the pen, but back in when she chooses to (the only one who understands that she can fly back in after getting out instead of pacing around the fence complaining).

Production-wise, she's an absolute machine for the production of 65g, white eggs. From her first egg in December 2020 to Sept 2021 she missed only 4-5 days laying. Since then, she *may* be molting she "only" lays 6 out of 7 or, perhaps, 13 out of 14 days.

I use her eggs as the reference egg to compare the rest of the flock's eggs to because she's so remarkably consistent between 64 and 66g -- aka, a perfect Large.
Did you get her from a hatchery? I might have to add a few to my flock 🙈😂
This. I think about current chickens, future chickens, what-if chickens….🤣
I suffer from this as well 😂😂

Meyers 4/6
2 buff laced Polish pullets
2 white topped black pullets (hubby’s request)
4 salmon Faverolle pullets

McMurrays 6/6
5 Mille Fleur bantam SR
5 blue bantam Cochin SR
5 buff bantam Brahma SR
1 Ameraucana pullet (I know, I know)
1 mystery chick

Then silkie eggs for hatching! I think I have four to six that are on my list to rehome from my current flock, still waffling over it. Afraid of losing some to hawks if I decide to fully free range, so might keep them if they lay well

Back
Top Bottom