Ordering Barley online for fodder...

ebertschic

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 29, 2013
Is $40 (includes shipping) for a 50 lb. bag of "Whole Organic Barley" a good price?

This is what I need for fodder, correct?

There's no stores around me that sells it.

Thanks,

~J~

Might be worth it if it's just an experiment, but that would get unnecessarily expensive over time. Most feed stores will special order. You might have to wait a bit for the feed store (depending on the store's volume & turnover) to place an order with the distributor that carries your desired product, but you won't end up paying a shipping fee and you get to support a local business to boot.

Another option (not sure where in the world you are located, this works well for the west coast, but they do deliver out to the midwest, I believe) is Azure Standard:

https://www.azurestandard.com/shop/product/876// ($26 for a 45lbs bag of organic whole barley)

Join a local group and place a minimum $50 order (they carry a LOT of natural/bulk foods and some animal feed products), or if there is no local group, place a minimum order of $500. Nominal delivery charge (we just paid $7 on a $90 order, but that will be different depending on your location).

Last edited:
I'm in New Jersey, the Garden State....isn't that funny, I can't find Barley in "The Garden State".

I'm in South Jersey.

Is $40 (includes shipping) for a 50 lb. bag of "Whole Organic Barley" a good price?
would you pay $40 for a bag of organic unbalanced chicken feed? If you would than it's a good price.

there's a ton of incomplete information out there on fodder. Keep in mind that you aren't magically creating 6# of feed when you sprout 1# of seeds. You still end up with the same amount of energy (calories, slightly less actually) as you started with.

I'm not quite sure what your point is. Do you not offer your chickens snacks every once in a while? I never said anything about fodder being my chickens' only source of food. My chickens free-range all day and I offer them a variety of things to eat in the winter in addition to them foraging around, including bread, meal worms, boss, oats, etc. What's wrong with offering them fodder as well, since the grass is covered with 6 inches of snow?

would you pay $40 for a bag of organic unbalanced chicken feed? If you would than it's a good price.

there's a ton of incomplete information out there on fodder. Keep in mind that you aren't magically creating 6# of feed when you sprout 1# of seeds. You still end up with the same amount of energy (calories, slightly less actually) as you started with.

that's like saying if I drink a gallon of gasoline I will have the btu's of energy ....But it has to be released in a proper manner to be used...

Back
Top Bottom