Ordering Black Shamos

birdsofparadise

Songster
11 Years
Nov 15, 2008
North Kohala, Hawaii
Iʻm fascinated by oriental game birds, shamos in particular. However, everything I read says that they begin fighting from the day they hatch. So, how do you order them? With 25 chick minimums, even adding a few shamos could cause a melee in the shipping box. I plan to free range them once they are old enough while keeping the rest of my flock yarded & cooped, but do they need their own hover/brooder? Anyone have experience with these elegant and endangered birds? Help!

I can't help...never heard of them, but I'm gonna Google them now... <BUMP>
smile.png

~Rebecca

I'm learning about Shamo also. I don't think you'll have a problem until they get a bit older. Once the males start to be males they will not get along and once they are older you cannot have them all together OR where they can get AT each other.

The fighting between chicks is minimal and more entertaining than worriesome, UNTIL they get most of their feathers. By that time you had better have seperators for you brooder. My grandfather had a wire enclosure that essentially turned his large brooder into cubicals. You will discover at that point you will be seperating not only all your roos but some of your pullets.

All of them will be far more combative than a normal farm yard chicken. Some will SEEM calm until they get that first rush of hormones so BE PREPARED!!! They can and will kill each other at very young ages.

Thanks Guitarists for the link in my e-mail. I had no idea these reources or organizations existed. What part of MI are you from. I lived near South Haven for 25 years before moving West.

Well, you didn;t miss much this year... I think Fall lasted 3 days and there was little color before everything just up and died
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom