ordering chicks

BetsyB3

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 22, 2008
What do you think of "hybrid" chickens (chicks) and should I order some and if so, where would I order them?

Quote:
From what I learned (hybrid) chickens are one of the best production chickens, and I would suggest to find out the nearest hatchery to your state and order them from there, that way chicks don't have to stay days on te road till they arrive.

best of luck.

omran

What do you want them for? Layers? I have a friend who got chicks them same time as I did. I got Buff Orpingtons, Barred Rock and Rhode Island Reds and he ordered Red Stars (all from Murray Mcmurry). The hatchery told me that is was best not to mix my birds with Red Star or Black Star because they were agressive toward other chickens and didn't always get along with other breeds. Although the Red Stars are smaller they have feathered out much quicker than mine have and he says that they will begin to lay somewhere between 1-2 months before mine do. That could be a plus if you really just want them for mass egg production. His hybrids also eat less than my girls. I chose to get purebreds (if there is such a thing) so I could make babies like their parents if I want to (purebreds) and I also like what I have heard about the personalities and dispositions of the larger dual purpose chickens. I bet you gets lots of different feed back and opinions on this question. Good luck and welcome to this site......I'm new too and I love it here.

My Cinnamon Queen (came from Cackle) lays an egg almost every day. So does the white leghorn and the brown leghorn and the California White. Everyone else is hit and miss.

Back
Top Bottom