ordering chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by cutter, Oct 22, 2010.

1. cutter

cutter Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    Can someone tell me the best place to order baby silkes from,and what does it mean when ordering,male,female or stright run,what is stright run ?

2. walbarbsa

walbarbsa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    Straight run is, simply put, you take what you get -- females/males! And sometimes even when you order pullets (females), you may get a cockerel in the mix![​IMG]

3. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    I dont know about ordering because the only time I did that was this summer when it was so hot and they didnt make it so decided to hatch myself. Straight run means how they hatch out. Boys and girls

4. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Straight Run mean's can be a mix of male's and female's.I have never ordered any Silkie's from Hatchery however.I have ordered from Murray Mc Murray before on other breed's.Im not saying Mc Murray doesnt have Nice silkie's I just never got any from them personaly.If you are looking for more show quality silkie's you might try looking into specific breeder's of Silkie's.Some will ship live bird's other's only hatching egg's.I have gotten some nice looking silkie's over the years from just egg's and some were not expensive at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by