Ordering Ducklings - Advice?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Kangasox, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Kangasox

Kangasox Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2015
    We have duck eggs in the incubator, due to hatch 4/17. Out of 12, we have 6 growing, according to candling. I am excited about that, but know anything can go wrong between now and then, especially since this is our first time hatching. So, I don't want to count my ducklings before they hatch, haha.

Because I'm worried we will have a coop without ducks and 3 disappointed kids, I'm thinking about ordering 6 more ducklings to arrive around that same time, so even if no one we're hatching makes it we'll have some. And I don't want to get to hatch date, have nobody, and be unable to find ducklings to order.

But a few questions -
    I'm in NC. Will my ducklings travel OK from Metzer in CA? The idea of shipping living things is so awful to me, I just want to be sure they're ok.

I'm thinking of ordering sexed, will they still be day olds, or older?

If I get sexed, I'm thinking of 1 Cayuga drake, 2 Cayuga hens, and 2 WH hens. Will that Ratio/breed variety work? We are hatching Anconas as well.

Thanks for your wisdom!

2. chickenlover09

chickenlover09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2014
    I don't really know anything about ducks, but if you order them, I would make sure to call your post office and make sure they know that you are ordering live animals. I would also pick them up from the post office when they arrive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by