ordering ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by RunnerDucks, May 29, 2010.

1. RunnerDucks

RunnerDucks Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    If I want to order ducklings from Holderread's, do I have to call or e-mail first, or do I just mail my check and order to them without confirming that they can fill the order?

I would have asked them, but I have read on here that they aren't speedy in their replies, and since so many people have ordered from them here, I thought it would be faster to get an answer going through you guys [​IMG]

Also... they state they need 4 goslings or 10 ducklings to keep them all warm enough. If I order the necessary number of ducklings, do I still need to order the necessary number of goslings (If I want both), or would having 10 ducklings in the box keep 2 goslings sufficiently warm?

2. OmaBird

OmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    CA High Desert
    I called and asked. Then I sent a money order. I didn't get my dates until I had E-mailed and asked them. I had a E-mail the next day saying they where getting dates set up. The following Monday I had my dates. The last hatch date on there site is the week of June 7th but they gave me the two weeks after that as alternate dates. I would not send a check this late. Give them a money order.

3. RunnerDucks

RunnerDucks Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2010
    Middle Tennessee
    So it's necessary to call or email first?

On the website's online catalogue they state they work up to 20 hour days, and are very busy, so I don't want to keep them from their work if it's not necessary.

4. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    It's not normally neccessary but they only have 2 more hatch dates for the year! June 7 and 14. I'd definitely call first!

5. sayyadina

sayyadina Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    I communicated with them solely by email, but I also got my order in during the winter. They've marked on their website the breeds of ducks & geese they've sold out of, so you should check that first to make sure the breeds you want are still available. They also have some adult birds available, though I don't know if they ship those or not.

I also got 2 sexed goslings from Metzer, and I got exactly what I ordered and they're both very nice. They might be a better choice at this time of year.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by