Ordering eggs from over seas (over 3k miles)

This is the kind of packaging the seller uses. I see a lot exactly like this from over there online. Also told me it would travel through plane and usually arrives in 5 days but I feel like that’s a little untrue maybe a week and a half at most. Also seems somewhat reputable, has his own logos and fb page and has been selling eggs for over a year as what I can tell. Nothing decided yet tho
(Anyone know if this packaging is even good?)

Attachments

• 3F6F8FE0-4BBE-4276-B3CF-B6899C27F769.jpeg
    3F6F8FE0-4BBE-4276-B3CF-B6899C27F769.jpeg
    554.4 KB · Views: 4
This is the kind of packaging the seller uses. I see a lot exactly like this from over there online. Also told me it would travel through plane and usually arrives in 5 days but I feel like that’s a little untrue maybe a week and a half at most. Also seems somewhat reputable, has his own logos and fb page and has been selling eggs for over a year as what I can tell. Nothing decided yet tho
(Anyone know if this packaging is even good?)
the packaging looks okay..

The packaging looks good. I’ve had special orders from Eastern Europe arrive in 3 days, so 5 days is certainly possible if not sent via standard mail but something express or otherwise faster. So that’s two boxes checked. Eggs can still hatch if refrigerated so cargo temps on the plane may not be a deal breaker. I looked up x rays and eggs and found this:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/x-ray-affect-on-shipped-eggs-real-results.901669/

Looks like it’s not a problem.

So at this point I’d say handling is the biggest concern. I would still label it fragile. The odds of people responding to it by being more careful are higher than finding that one a-hole who likes to kick fragile packages.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

The packaging looks good. I’ve had special orders from Eastern Europe arrive in 3 days, so 5 days is certainly possible if not sent via standard mail but something express or otherwise faster. So that’s two boxes checked. Eggs can still hatch if refrigerated so cargo temps on the plane may not be a deal breaker. I looked up x rays and eggs and found this:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/x-ray-affect-on-shipped-eggs-real-results.901669/

So at this point I’d say handling is the biggest concern. I would still label it fragile. The odds of people responding to it by being more careful are higher than finding that one a-hole who likes to kick fragile packages.

The biggest problem with eggs shipped by plane is if they are transported in an unpressurized cargo area. The changes in altitude in the unpressurized sections can destroy hatching eggs. Eggs transported in a pressurized section can come through fine.

I just checked it out and wow that delivery time does give me some hope lol
I will definitely keep updating if anything gets purchased so that maybe others will know from first hand experience how over seas delivery on eggs work

The biggest problem with eggs shipped by plane is if they are transported in an unpressurized cargo area. The changes in altitude in the unpressurized sections can destroy hatching eggs. Eggs transported in a pressurized section can come through fine.
I just looked this up because I was curious. All large planes have pressurized cargo holds. Only the small ones don’t. Overseas flights are usually larger planes so they would have the pressurized cargo holds. The USPS uses commercial airlines - large planes for longer distances, smaller planes for connections to more remote areas. Depending on where you live, you may avoid smaller planes altogether on your order’s trip. Like if you’re closer to a major hub so they put it on a truck straight off the overseas plane, as opposed to on a smaller plane (potentially with an unpressurized cargo hold) out to a more remote area. I’m in Boston so my shipment probably got loaded onto a truck at the airport off the cross-country flight and then drove to my local post office.

I just looked this up because I was curious. All large planes have pressurized cargo holds. Only the small ones don’t. Overseas flights are usually larger planes so they would have the pressurized cargo holds. The USPS uses commercial airlines - large planes for longer distances, smaller planes for connections to more remote areas. Depending on where you live, you may avoid smaller planes altogether on your order’s trip. Like if you’re closer to a major hub so they put it on a truck straight off the overseas plane, as opposed to on a smaller plane (potentially with an unpressurized cargo hold) out to a more remote area. I’m in Boston so my shipment probably got loaded onto a truck at the airport off the cross-country flight and then drove to my local post office.
Great information 😁

Back
Top Bottom