Ordering Extra Chicks To Sell? Nevermind.

dianaross77

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 10, 2010
Grand Blanc, MI
I want to start a small laying flock. I am thinking I'd like Black Austrolorps. I looked into ordering 6 chicks (mypetchicken) and when I looked into it, it's about the same price to order 25 as 6. If I ordered 25 then I'd have my pick! So, does anyone have experience in selling chicks? How easy was it? Is it a bad idea?

I was thinking: (any suggestions are welcome)

7 BA
6 BR
6 BO
6 SS

Last edited:
I've heard from a few friends here that selling chicks in the Spring is fairly difficult because everyone just goes to the feed store rather than deal with a stranger. Perhaps you could post an ad on Craigslist asking for people to join you in an order? That way all the chicks would be accounted for before you place the order.

Well, if I order now, it looks like they won't come until after Easter. By then the feed store chicks will be gone. But I don't know for sure.

Last edited:
Feed stores frequently have multiple batches of chicks available from March through July. And meaties are generally available throughout the spring, summer and into fall.

I wouldn't do it, myself. I don't believe there is enough of a market for privately sold, hatchery-quality chicks. If you had some breeder/show quality chicks then it might be a different story.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

I could have piggy backed on tsc's order but they are getting theirs this week already. None of the stores I've ever been to ever get a second batch. I guess I'll just head to tsc this week and see what I can get.
sad.png
But even if they have austrolorps, I'm not risking it. I don't trust their "pullet" bins. I guess I'll just get sex-links.

getting mine with the co-op's first batch. they order 450 every week. RIR & bared rock every week and a third breed that rotates every weeks. buff orps, EE, sl wyandottes, and austro. i think.

I think it would depend on your location.I've had 2 different ppl ask me if I had any extra layers this year so far.You might would have to keep them until POL.
To me selling any baby animals can be iffy because you never know when someone wants them.

I'm guessing you dont have any local breeders in your area, or you just cant get the ones you want locally?
I've been fortunate in that area!

Back
Top Bottom