Ordering: help with dewing, dubbing, shots, etc

Ellie

Songster
12 Years
Aug 10, 2007
Redding, Ca.
Ok, I am ordering online from Ideal this evening and they want to know about shots, dewing, and dubbing.

I need your help..... what do you suggest? Do you get all that stuff? Money is not an issue....it is cheap. I don't think I want their beaks clipped....

How to proceed?

Thanks,
Ellie

Please, ellie, do not have them debeaked. It is very cruel and leaves them deformed forever. Dubbing is the clipping of their comb, that is not nice either, please do not do this to your chicks. Dewing is cutting of their flight feather - you are getting babies I presume, you do not need their tiny wings clipped.

Please get your chicks exactly as they are hatched. Cutting, clipping or burning of their chicky body parts is so very cruel. I wish the hatcheries would stop offering those services completely.

When I buy from a hatchery I do get the vaccinations but I do NOT use medicated feed.

Enjoy your babies.

You don't need to do any of those things. They are all stressful to the birds and unnecessary for small backyard flocks. Only get shots if you know your current flock or area carries the high risk or has been previously infected with the things they are giving the shots for.

Go order that full quarter box of 25 now.
wink.png

Thanks very much. I didn't think I wanted any of those things.

I will order them just plain.... the way they were intended to be.

Thanks again,
Ellie

I'm late getting to this thread but here's my .02 anyway:

Debeaking is not necessary for backyard flocks. Dewing, Dubbing, etc.-nope, not necessary.

The Mareks and Cocci vaccines are usually only recommended for large flocks. However, just using plain logic..do you really want to deal with an outbreak of either in your flock? The vaccines are very inexpensive. That said, I've gotten chicks vaccinated and un-vaccinated with no problems.

I had my last order vaccinated for Mareks only because all of my chicks get medicated feed, so the Cocci vaccine would be useless anyway. Lots of people stay away from medicated starter and lots of people swear by it. In my opinion, medicated starter (w/out added antibiotics) is a great thing. I've never dealt with Cocci and hope and pray I won't ever have to- I hear it's a real pain to beat.

I guess I look at it like this: I have my kids immunized for things they are likely never to come in contact with so I can feel they are safe 'just in case'- why not do it for the flock, too?

Good luck with your chicks and let us know what breeds you ordered!

On Edit: I don't know where you are located, but Ideal is in Texas and it's stinking HOT down here- make sure you get those babies from the post office as soon as they arrive and give them plenty of water!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom