Oregon chickens?

Chicabee19

Songster
11 Years
Aug 8, 2008
n/a
If I am able to get chickens sometime sooner than I thought, is there anyone in Oregon near the Columbia Gorge with pullets to sell?

I'll be looking for feathered-out:

1 RIR
1 EE (red or buff)
1 Leghorn
1 sex-link

Don't want any that are pure white or pure black.

thanks!

cb19

White Leghorns are pure white when clean, but if you like, I could bring you one of my brownish dirt colored ones. LOL The white ones always end up dirt colored.
roll.png

Might want to specify brown or silver leghorn.
wink.png

wow... you are so cool!

I don't know much about Leghorn colors I guess! I chose by looking at photographs.

I suppose any color that is not all white or black would be great!

How old is your leggy? Where are you located?

Added: oh, Everett... where is that?
smile.png

Last edited:
Well, I don't know if I could get all the way out there :p

I'm in Washington State. Probably a good 5-6 hours drive. Don't actually know where you are either
wink.png
The leghorn is pure white though since it's a white leghorn.

You should see if you can find a source of birds from one place. Mixing together adult birds from multiple sources can bring in multiple types of bacteria from each previous home which could overload the immune systems of each bird you are bringing together. Furthermore, with the standard quarentine of adults of a month or so each, that's going to be lots of work or you'd be taking a decent risk elsewise.

Might consider waiting till you can order them all in the spring.

yes, that is a far bit to travel!

i think you are right that i would do best to find a single local source, or wait till spring.

it would not be good to just have a lone chicken over the winter. If i found 2 pullets fairly soon, would it be a bad idea to add 2 new pullets in the spring?

I am in The Dalles - about 2 hrs. east of Portland Or.

Last edited:
You can add pullets later on no problem. Just remember to quarantine for a month or so to make sure no diseases show up due to stresses of moving. You'll also have to slowly introduce new and old and they will fight a bit till they figure out a new pecking order. Can take up to a month for new birds to learn their role/fit in.

Best of luck! You are 5 hours away :p

Leghorns are often flighty birds too so keep that in mind if you want lap chickens. EE's depending on strain can also be little nut jobs. The RIR's and sexlinks I've had in the past were pretty calm.

thank you...
smile.png

if I look for a local source, I may have to take what I can find... probably not many Leghorns around here.

I have become much more interested in EE's.

Back
Top Bottom