1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oregon Chicks don't like Snow

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cottagechick, Jan 17, 2012.

1. cottagechick

cottagechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2011
    Cottage Grove, Oregon
    My girls all wanted to hang out on the porch all day. I noticed there was a patch of grass under a tree and a table so I carried my BR and my two silkies out and sat them in it...I was trying to be nice and not make them walk on the snow to get to the grassy area... I went back to get some other girls and the br flew back. I turn around and the silkies are trying to run through the chest high snow to get back to the porch. I wish I would have had a camera... [​IMG]

2. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Chillin' With My Peeps

lol! Neither do mine (I live in OR too). Silly birds!

3. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    My kids play this game where they pretend that differently-colored tiles in a grocery store are "lava," and that you can't step on them. They jump all of the way through the store. Well, my chickens are like that, but with snow. And to them, it's a VERY serious situation. Takes them 1-2 days to emerge from the coop every time we have a dusting.

4. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Are there some chicken breeds that generally do not mind the snow? Which breeds are they?

Last edited: Jan 17, 2012
  5. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    No such problem with Oregon ducks. My guys are having a blast playing in the snow. (I mean poultry, not the football team)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by