Oregon to Texas. Advice on anything appreciated.

LilyS

Songster
Jun 8, 2020
Hello!
A few of you might know me and Grady who live in Oregon on the coast. Well, we might be taking the journey back to Texas where I'm from but I'll be moving down by the border. I grew up in Dallas so it's a different world. I have no clue on predators or specific things I need to do to make sure he's safe and healthy.
Right now he free ranges all day and has access to all the grazing his little heart desires. All I have to do is put him up at night and let him out in the morning and keep his waterers and pool fresh.
I want to start getting everything ready for him before I bring him down. Any ideas and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Right now he free ranges all day and has access to all the grazing his little heart desires. All I have to do is put him up at night and let him out in the morning and keep his waterers and pool fresh.
I want to start getting everything ready for him before I bring him down. Any ideas and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

I think Texas tends to be drier than Oregon. You might have to water the grass regularly to keep it green and growing.

(Probably obvious, but mentioning it in case you hadn't thought of it yet. I've had really odd things get remembered or forgotten when life gets busy.)

Where at in Texas exactly? On the border as in Mexico? Texas is obviously massive and has a huge range of weather/land types. We are on the gulf coast near Louisiana and have super lush greenery. Nothing like what people associate with Texas. I had no clue there was a place like this in Texas before we moved here. You'll have many of the same predators as in Oregon. Mink, racoons, opossums, hawks, dogs, weasels, owls etc. We are from Albany, Oregon originally :)
We didn't travel with poultry, but I would suggest having things available to eat throughout the drive like watermelon, lettuce etc so he will have a less messy source of hydration than a slopping dish, and instead offer water every few hours as you stop and go.
As for when you get there, so long as he has a shady spot and access to water/feed (which you of course know) he will be golden! Our ducks and chickens free range and do great! Only have lost some at night to owls a couple times when a handful was on a coop strike and preferred to roost on a fence outside lol

we made the trek to see my moms grandma ALLLL the way in Oregon gorgeous place but we Texans aren't 😆 used to having our gas pumped for us also we went through Utah vegas Idaho it was quite the trip and also if you are gonna be on the border if I'm not mistaken you might have to watch out for big cats and even wolves i think like I said don't quote me on that but I think I've heard those predators live by mexico

what i would do is pack a nicely sealed bag of chicken feed and of course water and just let them eat and drink when you stop for gas or to eat and drink your self and then dump it out

Back
Top Bottom