1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Organic egg cleaner

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ericasl, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    Hello I have a question, I just got the new Murray McMurray catolog and it has an egg washer pro that is organic. During the summer I get very few dirty eggs, But with all this snow mud and ice I am getting a few more dirty eggs. Does anyone have a home made eggwasher that is good. I thought you were not to wash eggs because you wash the blume off. Some need some spot washing. Just wanted to know what everyone else does. Thanks:)

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Water is organic!

Seriously - that's all you need. Moisten a paper towel and wipe off the splutch. Use the egg within a week or so. If you want to replace the bloom, rub a bit of vegetable oil on it, but it's not relaly necessary if you'll use the egg soon.

3. Splash_Guard

Splash_Guard Set Free

Dec 3, 2008
    Michigan
    I never remove the bloom unless absolutely necessary. I do have the antibacterial egg wash on hand just in case it's needed, but only because I sell my eggs and want to know they are absolutely safe with a 100% money back guarantee.

The word ORGANIC is so overused I seldom pay attention now. It simply means it's high $$. You'll notice the word GREEN is going the same way. Marketing works, it has always worked and it always will work.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by