organic feed for ducks?

naturemom

Songster
13 Years
May 28, 2007
northern IL
I'm planning to get some ducks this year, and want to feed them organically. So far I have not found organic feed around here. I was making my own chicken feed from whole grains, but am taking a break from that until I find a local source for at least some of the grains. Now they are eating feed from Countryside Naturals. I know ducks can eat chicken feed, but I've read that ducklings should have small crumbles, and adult ducks pellets: nothing powdery. The feed from Countryside is pretty coarsely ground, but is rather powdery, so I'm not sure it would be OK for ducks. I've also read that ducklings shouldn't have whole grains, and conflicting things about giving ducks any seeds at all, so that would leave the whole-grain feed out, too. If need be I guess I'll shell out the money for a bag of duck starter from mcmurray (even more expensive that Countryside-yikes!), but I can't keep feeding them that forever.
Any suggestions?

Purina has a sub brand called Mazuri waterfowl feed. I get the starter and the maintenance for both my ducks and geese. If you have a feed store that carries Purina, they should be able to order it. Oh, and it floats so I always feed them some of it in their pool. They love that! Purina also makes a Flock Raiser that is suitable for mixed flocks of poultry.
You can also feed ducklings either broiler feed, turkey starter, or game bird feed. Just make sure that it isnt medicated and that it has added niacin. Ducks especially need more niacin then chickens to prevent leg and wing problems.

chel

Yep, I know about adding niacin.
Purina is not an option. Besides not being organic, they are owned by Nestle, which I boycott.

Chel, what about my geese? The only feed I can get for them that is above standard is the Purina Sun Fresh Start and Grow. The feed store was out of game bird feed last week and it won't be in until maybe Friday.

Back
Top Bottom