Organic Feed Produced Smaller Eggs?

sierra123

Chirping
Sep 7, 2021
I have 10 hens who have all been laying for about a year now. I've experimented with feed over the past year and I'm still on the fence as to whether I want them on organic feed or not. I've noticed repeatedly that when I buy the cheap feed (Producer's Pride 16% layer feed from Tractor Supply), they lay MASSIVE eggs, at least 1-2 double yolks/week, and all 10 of them lay. I have had them on Nature's Best Organic Egg Layer Pellets for a few weeks and their eggs have decreased noticeably in size, and I'm only getting 9 eggs a day now. I imagine this is more as "nature intended" and less painful for them, but it's not great for egg sales. I want to do what's best for my girls! But I'm curious- what is it about the difference in feed? Ingredients are relatively similar in the organic vs inorganic. Is there something about GMO soy/grain that might be contributing to their hormones & egg production?

When you have been doing the tests how long have you been keeping them on the organic feed? When you switch feeds there often is a crossover period of 10 days to a month of their bodies and taste palette adjusting to the new feed.

I have 10 hens who have all been laying for about a year now. I've experimented with feed over the past year and I'm still on the fence as to whether I want them on organic feed or not. I've noticed repeatedly that when I buy the cheap feed (Producer's Pride 16% layer feed from Tractor Supply), they lay MASSIVE eggs, at least 1-2 double yolks/week, and all 10 of them lay. I have had them on Nature's Best Organic Egg Layer Pellets for a few weeks and their eggs have decreased noticeably in size, and I'm only getting 9 eggs a day now. I imagine this is more as "nature intended" and less painful for them, but it's not great for egg sales. I want to do what's best for my girls! But I'm curious- what is it about the difference in feed? Ingredients are relatively similar in the organic vs inorganic. Is there something about GMO soy/grain that might be contributing to their hormones & egg production?
Are you weighing the eggs? A bird doesn't lay eggs that are much different in size each day. They lay close to the same size egg each day except for the random double yolkers. If a bird is consistently laying double yogers it's not because of the feed you're feeding them It's because they have an issue in their lady parts.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom