Organic Feed? What exactly is the difference?

crazyapple

In the Brooder
11 Years
Mar 6, 2008
My boys are allergic to everything, so I was advised to feed our chicks only organic feed. I'm new to this - we currently have 2 Amerecaunas and 4 bantams - they're on chick starter from the farm store. What's different about organic feed and where would I find it?

Thanks from a newbie

Crazyapple

organic feed is made with grain grown without pesticides, the bags are marked certified organic (very clearly, to justify the price!). We have tried to keep our chickens on organic feed, but it is difficult to get ahold of at times, especially the chick grower/starter. And did I mention the price? It runs about twice the price of regular feed. Also, I heard somewhere that there was not enough organic grain grown last year to meet demand for this year, if that's true there will really be NO organic feed available by this spring or summer. Has anyone else heard this?
Good luck finding the feed. You can order it mail order from someplace like FEDCO if you really have to, but paying for postage on top of the already-steep price would be a lot.

Back
Top Bottom