Organic non gmo feed

BeckyBailey

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2022
Hi!
I’m looking for trusted organic feed to give my hens! A source I can contact with any questions or concerns.

I like to give them egg layer and scratch. I let them out to free range between 12-2. They usually eat what I give them until 12.

Any suggestions?

I am not a fan of organic feed. Don't find them remotely cost effective, and they are often lacking (or low) in key amino acid profiles. I am much less a fan of taking a feed which was originally intended to provide the minimum necessary nutrition for commercial layers, in commercial conditions, under commercial management (short lifespans before they become dog food etc) below which losses in chickens and egg production exceed feed cost savings, and further reducing their daily intake by the addition of scratch.

HOWEVER.

There are a number of posters here in BYC whose opinions I value who make use of the Kalmbach Organics line of feeds with good result. and the nutrition (unlike some Organic feeds) is surprisingly good. Most use a wet mash or ferment method as a way to ensure their birds eat the "fines" (the vitamin nutrient powder making it a complete feed) and to discourage birds from selecting favorite whole grains based on flock dominance.

Best of luck to you in your chicken keeping journey.

(I free range too - how much it corrects for inadequacies in the feed is a factor of space, season, and content of the area they range. Its unreliable and uncertain, but can be an effective component of a managed risk approach to chicken keeping. As I said, I do it myself. Flock below, in my sig.)

Disclaimer -- I am not 100% Organic but I am 100% Non-GMO.

I've used Kalmbach feeds for probably 16/18 years now and switched to their Non-Gmo and Organic Feeds about 8 years ago with no regrets.
If you're looking for a good Organic feed, go with Kalmbach.

Whenever I've moved I try to find the nearest mill in my state that grinds their own feed. It's worth seeking out a source of local feed, whether it's organic or not because it's often the freshest option, and I find local mills don't try to nickel and dime us with ingredient and quality substitutions like the big Corporations have been doing in this inflationary period. I really like Big Sky Organic feed from Montana, but I wouldn't want to pay a premium of an extra $50 per 50 lb bag just for shipping, which seems to be the going rate for the "premium" national organic brands sold online. I'm a big fan of regenerative agriculture, so I look for organic options when I can, but to me Local is a more important factor.

I am not a fan of organic feed. Don't find them remotely cost effective, and they are often lacking (or low) in key amino acid profiles. I am much less a fan of taking a feed which was originally intended to provide the minimum necessary nutrition for commercial layers, in commercial conditions, under commercial management (short lifespans before they become dog food etc) below which losses in chickens and egg production exceed feed cost savings, and further reducing their daily intake by the addition of scratch.

HOWEVER.

There are a number of posters here in BYC whose opinions I value who make use of the Kalmbach Organics line of feeds with good result. and the nutrition (unlike some Organic feeds) is surprisingly good. Most use a wet mash or ferment method as a way to ensure their birds eat the "fines" (the vitamin nutrient powder making it a complete feed) and to discourage birds from selecting favorite whole grains based on flock dominance.

Best of luck to you in your chicken keeping journey.

(I free range too - how much it corrects for inadequacies in the feed is a factor of space, season, and content of the area they range. Its unreliable and uncertain, but can be an effective component of a managed risk approach to chicken keeping. As I said, I do it myself. Flock below, in my sig.)
Thank you for this information!

Whenever I've moved I try to find the nearest mill in my state that grinds their own feed. It's worth seeking out a source of local feed, whether it's organic or not because it's often the freshest option, and I find local mills don't try to nickel and dime us with ingredient and quality substitutions like the big Corporations have been doing in this inflationary period. I really like Big Sky Organic feed from Montana, but I wouldn't want to pay a premium of an extra $50 per 50 lb bag just for shipping, which seems to be the going rate for the "premium" national organic brands sold online. I'm a big fan of regenerative agriculture, so I look for organic options when I can, but to me Local is a more important factor.
I just found a local mill that makes organic and non organic feed! Im so excited. Thank you for the info!

Disclaimer -- I am not 100% Organic but I am 100% Non-GMO.

I've used Kalmbach feeds for probably 16/18 years now and switched to their Non-Gmo and Organic Feeds about 8 years ago with no regrets.
If you're looking for a good Organic feed, go with Kalmbach.
Thank you! I need to look to see if our local feed stores sell that brand! I did just find a local mill that makes organic feed. I will check it out and see if my girls even like it!

Back
Top Bottom