oriental breeds

Don't forget Japanese bantams, also called Chabo. They are said to be Malaysian in origin but became popular in Japan, from which point they spread to the West.

They most commonly have black tails and white, buff, or barred plumage. A cool mutation causes 25% of the offspring to have short legs, some so short that it looks like they're sitting on the ground even when they're standing. It is hilarious to see one trotting along, looking like it's just gliding across the ground on its stomach.
lol.png

Also, they're long-lived, gentle and... best of all... quiet. I have four Chabo/Japanese bantam roos that almost never crow. I'm not joking. One of them has crowed once... once! ... since October. And it was not loud.

The hens aren't great layers, and the gene that causes the short leg mutation is a lethal one, meaning that there's a 1 in 4 chance that some of the eggs will not be viable because they contain a pair of the lethal genes. The embryos die before they have fully developed. But overall it's a really nice breed.

There are also Nankins, also Malaysian in origin. They are rare in the U.S. unfortunately. I have a small flock. They look to have a lot of "jungle fowl" traits, including the roos bonding to a hen and helping raise the babies. The hens are super broody, lay a clutch of up to 12 eggs with above average hatch success. As soon as the chicks are fledged, the roo takes over leading them on foraging trips while the hen lays and hatches another clutch.

Do these breeds (Shamo, Malay, Thai, Aseel, etc) interbreed and if so, what are the chicks like? Iʻve read about pair bonding in oriental games, but that just sounds a little far fetched for a rooster whose primary directive is to reproduce the breed.

Any experience?

Quote:
Yes they can interbreed, size permitting. The resulting chicks are like any other mixed bred chicks. About the pair bonding, perhaps another can ring in on as I do not know about it first hand.

When I get some of our big Orientals I pair up out to "walk" the yard, where you find one, you'll find the other, and most of the time they will both run off the other fowl that wander the yard if they get too close. Don't know how strong the bond is compared to other animals who pair bond, but you can definately see it.

They definately bond in their little pair or trio and all stick together. The rooster may still chase and breed an available yard hen but he'll return to his hens when it's over. I don't think my oriental hens would allow another hen to join the flock.

SpecialColor.jpg

Thai pair... with random yard hen in the background

They definately bond in their little pair or trio and all stick together. The rooster may still chase and breed an available yard hen but he'll return to his hens when it's over. I don't think my oriental hens would allow another hen to join the flock.

SpecialColor.jpg

Thai pair... with random yard hen in the background

I have to say, that if you are going to get orientals from a hatchery, please don't base your experience on them based on those birds. I have seen first hand the kind of orientals that come from hatcheries, and prariechiken is dead on in his analysis. If you truly want to see how great these birds can be, get them from a reputable breeder, and plan on them being game as well. I can say that once you have some good orientals, there is no turning back!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom