Oriental Rollers

fadedracer

Chirping
Jan 5, 2015
Is it true that Oriental rollers will get away from falcons, cooper hawks etc.? I used to have Iranian Rollers about 30 years ago that were the size of Racing homers, that did the job very well. But at that time, I did not have the problem I have now with all of the cooper hawks killing my Birmingham Rollers. So If somebody has Oriental Rollers can you tell me if this statement is true, and how big are Oriental rollers in comparison to Racing Homers. Thanks

they can but are not 100% hawk proof. there are some that fly them for two years before breeding from them. the young birds just starting to fly are the ones most likely to be caught.the breed just had a special in purebred pigeons magazine. like always find fliers not show stock. the thing with young birds dying suddenly is what some call young bird disease.look at foys pigeon cataloge they have some meds for it.

Yes, they can evade hawks. Some are better than others at evading, some totally suck.

They are about the same size as the Iranian Highflyers.

This is one of my 2014 young birds.

Yes, they can evade hawks. Some are better than others at evading, some totally suck.

They are about the same size as the Iranian Highflyers.

This is one of my 2014 young birds.

Thanks for the information. Beautiful Recessive Red Pigeon!!!!!!

Not sure how the orientals are but my BR's can out fly the hawks most times, I lost 7 out of 50 young birds last year, the main time they are at risk from hawks, is when there on the roof of the loft or standing around somewere, I found that when they are finished flying, get them in right away, try to be within 2 mins.. land, call them, they come running to safety.. around here hawks pick them off by stealth, they hide in the trees somewere unseen, then attack after they land and calm down.. i also have a few falcons, they take them right outta the air,, not much you can do about that..hard for any pigeon to out fly a full grown hungry falcon.. I fly mine for approx an hour.. then back to the kitbox.. i never let them out unwatched.. for any period of time.. train them to come in immediately when called.. best advice i can give..

I tried just giving some freedom to perch around the yard.. almost everytime i would loose a bird.. now i only let them out when i can attend to them, and get them to safety.. JMHO

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom