Original Rat Proof Chicken Feeder ( http://ratproofchickenfeeder.net )

kuda20032003

Hatching
Aug 29, 2021
Wanted to give a quick review of the Rat Proof Chicken Feeder ( http://ratproofchickenfeeder.net ) This is well made and thought out design. My chickens learned how to stand on the perch pretty quick. I love the fact that we can go away for a week and not have to worry about the chickens getting fed. The feeder and my automatic coop door work well together. This is the second one I've purchased. First one was the Original. The new one is on the way. Should be here soon. Oh, and quick shipping. Customer service is great as well. Quick response time. Definitely recommend.

Matt K

Really happy to read your post about the Rat Proof Chicken Feeder. I just bought one myself and am VERY MUCH looking forward to it.

Our rat population went 0 to (what feels like) 100 in a matter of two? weeks. It's been horrible. I've covered the coop with 1/4 in wire (I suspect they're still getting in through some unknown hole), removed the existing feeder from the coop, started supervised feeding sessions outside the coop, started weekly smoked bombing under the shed (with fire extinguisher and hose at the ready in case the warnings on the box were accurate), set three traps (not one rat caught yet), plan to try (again) chicken nipples to avoid watering the rats, and apologized to the neighbours (who hadn't noticed yet, somehow).

The long and short is that I read all the (real) reviews out there and bought the Rat Proof Chicken Feeder (I chose the small, soft closure for my little coop for 3-4 chickens). I agree with the original post - the guy offers awesome customer service. This is a one-man-show in Oklahoma. He created his own version of the Grandpa's Feeder (with its issues addressed, including making it actually rat proof, stronger and waaaaay cheaper). The only problem is that his is a small business in the USA, meaning he doesn't sell in Canada nor offer affordable shipping options.

I was desperate so bought it anyway. Actually, I bought four to minimize the shipping per unit. I'm selling the other three on Kijiji and passing along the discount. They arrive this week. Wish me luck!

Oh man Shelly has set a high standard for my feeder to live up to! It should though.

Customers do come along that aren't satisfied on occasion and you can usually track it back to not following or not understanding the instructions. I learned long ago training new workers for a furniture factory I owned how difficult it is get get across simple things between misunderstandings and a raft of knowledge that you might know but others might not know and me the trainer thinking they ought to already know.

We do have a ton of positive reviews and a few negative reviews and no, we do not normally censor reviews if they have negative content because the bad reviews make the good reviews credible. There have been one or two where the customer actually stole the product by back charging, then refused to send back the feeder which would have been destroyed anyway but we want them shipped back on the principle of the thing, then the thieves posted BBB complaints and bad Google reviews AFTER stealing from us! You can bet those one or two reviews were taken down. Then there are the scammers, they order three feeders, the Fedex Ground tracking shows all three delivered with weight scans every time they enter or leave a terminal or truck, and then they claim they got only one feeder. Then backcharge, stealing all three feeders plus the money they paid for shipping. If you contest the backcharge they quickly put up bad reviews on BBB and Google to blackmail you to back off. You can always tell these people though, few reviews, little history on Google.

The best reviews in my opinion come from independent sites that don't have Amazon links. There is one site that reviews chicken feeders and has a ton of info on chickens and disease, then the Facebook reviews are pretty trustworthy, then the odd blogger that posts up about the feeder unsolicited. They usually do provide a link back to our site but they are uncompensated.

We are way cheaper than the made in China grandpa feeder, especially in the beginning when their feeder was over $200.00 plus very expensive shipping. Their prices have come down after their Chinese supplier or a competitor have started copying that Grandpa feeder but they are still close to double what we charge. And honestly, they have a nice fit and finish in my opinion and they are using heavy gauge steel plus shipping them from China to one of the multiple countries they sell in. But read the reviews, they are not rat proof if you have an existing infestation of rats, the lid is easily pushed open.

They do have an advantage from selling on Amazon but they are paying around 30% to do so. I looked into it, even listed one type of the feeders back in 2015 and when the first sale came in nearly all of the profit was eaten up. Plus earning that Buy Box on Amazon is expensive and we would have to increase our price from $85.00 for a basic feeder up to around $120.00 per feeder. The thing is that most customers can buy the $85.00 feeder and get it delivered for less than $120.00 except the furthermost states. Better to keep the prices down and let the close in customers save money and the ones way off to pay the shipping if they don't want to buy a local produced feeder.

Thanks for the two customers that posted the reviews. Please email with pictures or a video if you ever have problems and I will walk you through a solution. You do need some full size birds, all treadle feeders are not to be used by chicks and very small birds, and you do have to follow the directions. And don't give up if you aren't getting results, I probably just haven't explained it well to you. But you do need to read the entire product description and we do encourage people to visit the main website ending in .net and reading the tons and tons of info on how the feeder is made, how it came about, how to repair it when needed, and if the feeder is a good choice for your flock.

I thought this was the original style of a rat proof feeder, silly me ;-)
feeder2_FH.jpg

All that’s needed to make this suspended chicken feeder is a bucket with a handle and tight-fitting lid, a stainless steel eye bolt, and a small square scrap of untreated wood or a cork. Drill a hole in the bottom of the bucket, insert the eye bolt, and screw on the wood piece so it’s dangling outside the bottom.
This acts as a toggle to release feed when pecked.
A 1/2 inch pvc pipe connector, some washers and nuts will create the dangling dispensing target, if a suitable alternative is not readily available. Between this bump style feeder and four Siamese cats, this has solved my roving nightime vector vermin problems, as near as I can tell. It also keeps the daytime sparrows voracious appetites at bay too, so its a money saver too.

K :)

Oh man Shelly has set a high standard for my feeder to live up to! It should though.

Customers do come along that aren't satisfied on occasion and you can usually track it back to not following or not understanding the instructions. I learned long ago training new workers for a furniture factory I owned how difficult it is get get across simple things between misunderstandings and a raft of knowledge that you might know but others might not know and me the trainer thinking they ought to already know.

We do have a ton of positive reviews and a few negative reviews and no, we do not normally censor reviews if they have negative content because the bad reviews make the good reviews credible. There have been one or two where the customer actually stole the product by back charging, then refused to send back the feeder which would have been destroyed anyway but we want them shipped back on the principle of the thing, then the thieves posted BBB complaints and bad Google reviews AFTER stealing from us! You can bet those one or two reviews were taken down. Then there are the scammers, they order three feeders, the Fedex Ground tracking shows all three delivered with weight scans every time they enter or leave a terminal or truck, and then they claim they got only one feeder. Then backcharge, stealing all three feeders plus the money they paid for shipping. If you contest the backcharge they quickly put up bad reviews on BBB and Google to blackmail you to back off. You can always tell these people though, few reviews, little history on Google.

The best reviews in my opinion come from independent sites that don't have Amazon links. There is one site that reviews chicken feeders and has a ton of info on chickens and disease, then the Facebook reviews are pretty trustworthy, then the odd blogger that posts up about the feeder unsolicited. They usually do provide a link back to our site but they are uncompensated.

We are way cheaper than the made in China grandpa feeder, especially in the beginning when their feeder was over $200.00 plus very expensive shipping. Their prices have come down after their Chinese supplier or a competitor have started copying that Grandpa feeder but they are still close to double what we charge. And honestly, they have a nice fit and finish in my opinion and they are using heavy gauge steel plus shipping them from China to one of the multiple countries they sell in. But read the reviews, they are not rat proof if you have an existing infestation of rats, the lid is easily pushed open.

They do have an advantage from selling on Amazon but they are paying around 30% to do so. I looked into it, even listed one type of the feeders back in 2015 and when the first sale came in nearly all of the profit was eaten up. Plus earning that Buy Box on Amazon is expensive and we would have to increase our price from $85.00 for a basic feeder up to around $120.00 per feeder. The thing is that most customers can buy the $85.00 feeder and get it delivered for less than $120.00 except the furthermost states. Better to keep the prices down and let the close in customers save money and the ones way off to pay the shipping if they don't want to buy a local produced feeder.

Thanks for the two customers that posted the reviews. Please email with pictures or a video if you ever have problems and I will walk you through a solution. You do need some full size birds, all treadle feeders are not to be used by chicks and very small birds, and you do have to follow the directions. And don't give up if you aren't getting results, I probably just haven't explained it well to you. But you do need to read the entire product description and we do encourage people to visit the main website ending in .net and reading the tons and tons of info on how the feeder is made, how it came about, how to repair it when needed, and if the feeder is a good choice for your flock.
Will you be shipping at all to Canada? I’m desperate to get my hands on one of your feeders as it’s the only one that I can see that really is rat proof. Any suggestions of where I can purchase one?

Export from the U.S. is a major pain involving a trip to the Capitol for the Sec of state or cooperation with a Chamber of commerce. However, there are forwarding companies that can do this with no problem. Look for a forwarding company that specializes in Canada/U.S. package forwarding. They provide an estimate from their warehouse to your house and a U.S. address to use when ordering. Be sure the new address is already in your Paypal list of authorized shipping addresses before trying to order. Credit card orders have to be sent to the billing address so that form of payment doesn't work.

Back
Top Bottom