Orlopp Bronze or Artisan Gold?

TheBirdLady2001

Songster
Oct 11, 2016
Windsor, Ontario, CA
I’m looking to get some turkeys and I have to chose between the two breeds ( Orlopp Bronze and Artisan Gold) I am only looking for pets, and will not be getting specific genders, nor will I care what genders the little babies are :) anyone have any opinions on the two breeds? Which breed is friendlier? Lol! Thanks :)

I’m looking to get some turkeys and I have to chose between the two breeds ( Orlopp Bronze and Artisan Gold) I am only looking for pets, and will not be getting specific genders, nor will I care what genders the little babies are :) anyone have any opinions on the two breeds? Which breed is friendlier? Lol! Thanks :)
Orlopp Bronze turkeys are Broad Breasted Bronze turkeys and as such can be subject to the various problems that befall broad breasted turkeys. They tend to be short lived since they were bred to be fast growing meat turkeys.

Artisan Gold turkeys are said to be a Black heritage turkey that someone has attached the name Artisan Gold as a marketing ploy.

Orlopp Bronze turkeys are Broad Breasted Bronze turkeys and as such can be subject to the various problems that befall broad breasted turkeys. They tend to be short lived since they were bred to be fast growing meat turkeys.

Artisan Gold turkeys are said to be a Black heritage turkey that someone has attached the name Artisan Gold as a marketing ploy.
How long do the orlopp bronze turkeys live? How long do the Artisan golds live for? Is there any health problems I should be concerned about? So is the Artisan gold turkey just a regular black breed Turkey?

How long do the orlopp bronze turkeys live? How long do the Artisan golds live for? Is there any health problems I should be concerned about? So is the Artisan gold turkey just a regular black breed Turkey?
Everything you have or can read about broad breasted turkeys applies to the Orlopp Bronze. I would not recommend having a broad breasted as a pet due to the possible health and leg issues if one tries to keep them longer than they were designed for. They were developed as a fast growing meat turkey to be processed from four to six months of age.

Heritage turkeys can live a long time. I had an eleven year old Bourbon Red tom that was taken by a predator on Thanksgiving of his 11th year. I currently have Blue Slate hen that is 10 years old and her daughter that is 9 years old.

To the best of my knowledge, the Artisan Gold is just a Black heritage turkey. I am sure the company that placed that name on them would disagree.

Everything you have or can read about broad breasted turkeys applies to the Orlopp Bronze. I would not recommend having a broad breasted as a pet due to the possible health and leg issues if one tries to keep them longer than they were designed for. They were developed as a fast growing meat turkey to be processed from four to six months of age.

Heritage turkeys can live a long time. I had an eleven year old Bourbon Red tom that was taken by a predator on Thanksgiving of his 11th year. I currently have Blue Slate hen that is 10 years old and her daughter that is 9 years old.

To the best of my knowledge, the Artisan Gold is just a Black heritage turkey. I am sure the company that placed that name on them would disagree.
Thank you so much! I’ll definitely be buying the Artisan Gold :)

I

Artisan Gold seems to be created from strains of Norfolk Black, but who knows?

Ladybird....go check out Porters Heritage Breed Tutkeys. Wonderful source. There are about 10 different breeds I am dying to get. By the way. U have two hens that are pets. Both love to hop in my lap to take naps. Like dogs with feathers! They are the best!!

i had 20 turkeys that were both artisan gold and bourbon reds but for some reason i now have 4 artisan golds. please tell me why they kept dying, i'm trying everything and i am only 17 years old and its heartbreaking every time i loose one.

i had 20 turkeys that were both artisan gold and bourbon reds but for some reason i now have 4 artisan golds. please tell me why they kept dying, i'm trying everything and i am only 17 years old and its heartbreaking every time i loose one.
Start at the beginning and tell us how you brooded them, temperatures and feed.

Are you located in an area where blackhead is a problem"

What were the symptoms?

Start at the beginning and tell us how you brooded them, temperatures and feed.

Are you located in an area where blackhead is a problem"

What were the symptoms?
well we started with having them in my bathroom in totes, with a heat lamp. we let them eat layered pellets and they are just now starting to free range with the chickens and guineas. I live in Haleyville Alabama near Winston County and i just moved here last year and have absolutely no experience with any poultry, because i lived in Hawaii for 12 years. what is blackhead? and at first they just started dying every time i went in to the chicken run to feed and water them, now this morning i had one who is just laying down looking really tired, i held her for like 30 minutes and tried to figure out what is wrong with her, but turned up empty. when i set her down near the other turkeys she started walking forward then kept looking back at me, she then just laid there and started closing her eyes. i just cant deal with losing anymore i've gotten attached to every single one of them. i love them and it kills me every time i lose one.

Back
Top Bottom