Orlopp Bronze or Artisan Gold?

well we started with having them in my bathroom in totes, with a heat lamp. we let them eat layered pellets and they are just now starting to free range with the chickens and guineas. I live in Haleyville Alabama near Winston County and i just moved here last year and have absolutely no experience with any poultry, because i lived in Hawaii for 12 years. what is blackhead? and at first they just started dying every time i went in to the chicken run to feed and water them, now this morning i had one who is just laying down looking really tired, i held her for like 30 minutes and tried to figure out what is wrong with her, but turned up empty. when i set her down near the other turkeys she started walking forward then kept looking back at me, she then just laid there and started closing her eyes. i just cant deal with losing anymore i've gotten attached to every single one of them. i love them and it kills me every time i lose one.
The first problem is feeding them layer pellets. Turkey poults need a high protein (28% to 30% protein) turkey or game bird feed for the first 6 to 8 weeks. The proper feed will have the higher levels of lysine, methionine and niacin that they need for proper development.

Layer feed has too high of a calcium content for young birds whether they are turkeys, chicks, keets or waterfowl. The calcium levels found in layer feed can cause kidney damage which will lead to a shortened life span.

Blackhead (histomoniasis) is a disease that can be deadly to turkeys.

well we started with having them in my bathroom in totes, with a heat lamp. we let them eat layered pellets and they are just now starting to free range with the chickens and guineas. I live in Haleyville Alabama near Winston County and i just moved here last year and have absolutely no experience with any poultry, because i lived in Hawaii for 12 years. what is blackhead? and at first they just started dying every time i went in to the chicken run to feed and water them, now this morning i had one who is just laying down looking really tired, i held her for like 30 minutes and tried to figure out what is wrong with her, but turned up empty. when i set her down near the other turkeys she started walking forward then kept looking back at me, she then just laid there and started closing her eyes. i just cant deal with losing anymore i've gotten attached to every single one of them. i love them and it kills me every time i lose one.
Well I have learned young poults can't handle cold water and I feed mine game feed and others feed them that flock feed they need a higher protein

Back
Top Bottom