Ornamental Layer Ladies - Which Breed Am I?

thecaped

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 21, 2013
Hi all! For those of wanting to solve some mysteries this Friday, see if you can help me to identify the breeds of my new arrivals! Sexing is not necessary, as most of these will turn out to be female BUT if you see a sign of a male, let me know!

Mystery 1 - I thought that this girl might be a White-faced Spanish, but low and behold, black and white feathers are emerging on her wings. What do you think?
IMG_1935.jpg
IMG_1937.jpg
IMG_1938.jpg

Mystery Number 2: What is the difference between these chipmunk-looking chicks?
Chick Number 1 - Layered distinctive colored stripes on back - white in the middle, outlined in black, redish brown down the center; light orange legs, tan and cream belly
IMG_1939.jpg
IMG_1940.jpg
IMG_1941.jpg

Versus - Chick Number 2 - more solid dark brown back stripe, stripes on back are a tan color (as opposed to the distinctly white stripe from chick above), slightly darker (greenish) legs, some redish coloring on shoulders, tan belly
IMG_1932.jpg
IMG_1933.jpg

Thanks for helping out!

Attachments

• IMG_1934.jpg
    IMG_1934.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1939.jpg
    IMG_1939.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1940.jpg
    IMG_1940.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1941.jpg
    IMG_1941.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 3
Its too early to say for sure. But Mystery chick could be a WFB Spanish, white feathers will molt out. Chick 1 I would guess Silver Penciled Rock. Chick 2 Silver Phoenix. Again much to early to say for sure. If you had a list of breed possibilities from the hatchery it may help to narrow it down.

Good points! Hatchery was Murrary McMurray, and I got an order of 16 as part of the Female Ornamental Layer group.

The list of possibilities includes:
Sumatras
Dominiques
Golden-laced Wyandotte
Silver, Buff, Gold-laced, White Polish
Golden Campine
Cream Legbar
Golden-Penciled Hamburgs
Silver Penciled Rocks
Partridge, Blk, Blue, Buff, Silver-laced and White Cochins
Arucanas
Dark and Buff Brahmas
Pheonix
Fayoumis
Salmon Faverolles
W.L. Red Cornish
Lakenvelders
Blk and White Langshans
Red Caps
Silver Leghorns
Silver Grey Dorkings
Old English Games
Sultans
Buttercups
Black-faced White Spanish
Mottled Houdans
(and possibly more :/)

Its too early to say for sure. But Mystery chick could be a WFB Spanish, white feathers will molt out. Chick 1 I would guess Silver Penciled Rock. Chick 2 Silver Phoenix. Again much to early to say for sure. If you had a list of breed possibilities from the hatchery it may help to narrow it down.

I didn't know that those early feather colors may not matter. Sheesh. Talk about John Snow, we really do know nothing! :)

Back
Top Bottom