Orp hen is limping and tail is down

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by maggiegigs, Sep 24, 2011.

1. maggiegigs

maggiegigs Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2010
    I believe my Orp fell from her roost two nights ago. Allot of ruckus that night. She is now limping and not eating/drinking. I set her back into the coop and she limped/hobbled into one of the egg boxes where she remains right now. When my DH comes home I will check her out better but she is hard to exam since she is a large bird. Any suggestions as what to do. Just leave her alone to heal? Will she eventually get up to eat? I put her food and water in the coop but does not seem interested right now.[​IMG]

2. MommyMagpie

MommyMagpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Salem/Jarvisville, WV
    I have a hen who was limping a while ago, I isolated her and fed extra protein and she recovered just fine. I put her in a wire dog crate with bedding, food and water but no roost.

She is an egg eater and also only lays sloppy fart eggs (she is a 3yo RSL) so she still sleeps in the crate and is only let out after all the others have laid their eggs and we have collected them, but no more problems with limping.

Hope your girl just has a sprain or other minor problem. I understand that limping can be a sign of other things as well, but if you suspect a tumble from the roost it is probably something rest will cure.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by