orphaned duckling

ducky333

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 11, 2014
I found a orphaned duckling its mother had been killed. I have a mother with 9 of her own ducklings around the same size could I introduce this duckling to them and would she foster him? I dont want him to be alone he loves to be next to there cage.

Any Advice would be great!!

If you try it, monitor closely. Most hens (duck and chicken) bond with their young in the first 24 hours and all others are viewed as 'strangers' which may be attacked. Some mothers are more accepting and will adopt orphans. In my experience geese are very likely to do this even adopting ducklings.

I have the little orphan introduced to the foster mom, she is even brooding him already, hes a little bigger but fits in nicely with her 9 ducklings. thank you everyone for your help!

Put the rescue in a cage that he or she can't get out of (may be trickier than it sounds) and then place him or her with your flock. You'll know in short time if it'll be accepted by everyone. And X2 on Sourland's comment. Completely agree. Slow and steady. We had an orphaned duckling that was rejected by another momma duck that had ducklings the same age. We brought her into the house and raised her until adult feathers started coming in. She's integrated into the flock now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom