Orphaned Kittens *Sad update on Holly*

Quote:
Good advice!

I see pee pee in the litter box!!
clap.gif

They are precious!!
love.gif

I remember when my family bottlefed 5 kittens from day 8.... That was fun. They went on family trips, to trail Rides, and just about anywhere else....

I think we gave them all the formula they wanted, and not one died.

Last edited:
I was thinking about the kittens that died and the fact that the mother cat abandoned her kittens. You said she is a barn cat... has she been vaccinated against Feline Leukemia? I did a little research on it and if the mother has it then that could be the reason the two died.

Feline leukemia virus infections can cause stillbirths and fading kittens , in addition to other signs.

This may be helpful to you... http://maxshouse.com/kitten_care.htm

Best wishes!​

They are SO adorable!!
love.gif
Sorry about the two that died. When kittens are abandoned, you never know why. But sometimes it's because something is wrong physically inside. Robin'sBrood had some good info there. I hope you don't have house cats already, or if you do that they've had the feline leuk vaccin. I would keep the kittens away from any cats you may have (if any) until you get them vet checked.

Also, there are many organizations that work w/feral cats (barn cats included) in loaning out traps and free spay/neutering. You could google around if interested.

Robin'sBrood :

I was thinking about the kittens that died and the fact that the mother cat abandoned her kittens. You said she is a barn cat... has she been vaccinated against Feline Leukemia? I did a little research on it and if the mother has it then that could be the reason the two died.

Feline leukemia virus infections can cause stillbirths and fading kittens , in addition to other signs.

Best wishes!​

Thanks for the links. I guess their mother could be a carrier, but she does not act sick (she isn't vaccinated). Can kittens get it through the father? We have a number of toms around, and most of them don't like humans very much. I hope that the last two continue to do alright.

Quote:
MN, I'm afraid.
smile.png

Quote:

Best wishes!

Thanks for the links. I guess their mother could be a carrier, but she does not act sick (she isn't vaccinated). Can kittens get it through the father? We have a number of toms around, and most of them don't like humans very much. I hope that the last two continue to do alright.

If I'm not mistaken, females can get it from infected males while mating. I know cats can get it from one another by sharing food/water bowls, living in close contact, etc. Cats can have it for a while without looking or acting sick. This nasty virus is kind of like AIDS for cats. While it is in the 1st stage they may seem fine, but once it turns to the AIDS stage, they start looking/acting sick and will die from it.
sad.png

Can you have mama cat tested? If she isn't positive for it she can still be vaccinated against it, and spayed! If she is positive then I would have at least one of the kittens tested as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, boy, you won't believe the last few days we've had here at our house. Everyone but my dad and youngest brother has gotten a good case of H1N1 (and even they are somewhat sick – just not as bad...yet...) which has all but completely knocked us out, and a couple days ago, our neighbor came to tell us that he had found our gray tabby in a coyote trap.
th.gif
The poor boy's paw is still swollen, but he's getting around. He's such a sweet cat.

Both kittens are still alive
celebrate.gif
and the less-sick of us have managed to keep them fed. They're five weeks old now, and I wish I had the energy to really work on weaning them.

Their mother, Trixxie, has been missing the last couple of days. Not sure where she is.
hmm.png

Robin'sBrood :

Most orange & white tabbies are boys.

This is true, but it is possible to have a female orange and white every now and then. Non the less, you may want to check Holly a little closer just to be sure
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom