Orpington Duck Questions

Duckbreeder2020

Crossing the Road
Sep 18, 2020
New Jersey
I have a 3 month old Orpington Duck that should be ready to breed/lay eggs in March. Are Orps usually known to sit on eggs? And are they usually good mums?

From a very general standpoint, Buffs are O.K mothers, and when given the right environment may sit. As you probably know, classifying whether a bird will go broody, and how good they will do with the ducklings is a very general statement. In other words, it's going to vary with the individual bird.

If you provide the duck a quiet, dark, safe nesting area, and keep a few gold balls in the area, that will help induce broodiness.

From a very general standpoint, Buffs are O.K mothers, and when given the right environment may sit. As you probably know, classifying whether a bird will go broody, and how good they will do with the ducklings is a very general statement. In other words, it's going to vary with the individual bird.

If you provide the duck a quiet, dark, safe nesting area, and keep a few gold balls in the area, that will help induce broodiness.
Ok thanks, I’m a little worried because she is going to just start breeding/ laying. I’m going to start my set up soon and show you guys. Let me describe it, so ducks HATE being alone, so I’m going to get a large (Great Dane size) dog run. I’m going to put that in the corner of the coop with a snug dog house with hay in it and glittery golf balls like you said. So she can socialize with the other ducks but still her and her eggs are safe

DFF1CFF2-A41B-4538-A5DB-71A5D01FF68D.jpeg

Ok thanks, I’m a little worried because she is going to just start breeding/ laying. I’m going to start my set up soon and show you guys. Let me describe it, so ducks HATE being alone, so I’m going to get a large (Great Dane size) dog run. I’m going to put that in the corner of the coop with a snug dog house with hay in it and glittery golf balls like you said. So she can socialize with the other ducks but still her and her eggs are safe
Will that be an ok space for her? I just want her to lay on her own eggs
Will she feel comfortable?

Hard for me to imagine what you're planning to do. If you have a picture, that would be great.

Let me try to explain it better: @Isaac 0
So, my chickens have a coop attached to the run, I’m going to bring a large outdoor dog playpen into the chicken/duck run. So there is going to be a dog playpen inside the chicken run. Then I’m going to build a dog house I bought off of Amazon and I’m going to put the dog house inside the dog play pen that’s inside the chicken/duck run. I’m going to put my female duck in there to lay. (And I’m breeding another but I’m incubating her eggs)

Back
Top Bottom