1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Orpington just sits in the box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by itsmatt, Dec 27, 2008.

1. itsmatt

itsmatt Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    So, I've got five hens - an easter egger, two Australorps and two buff Orpingtons. They've been routinely laying 4-5 eggs a day and seem to be healthy enough. They get out of their 6x10 run several days a week for at least a few hours and overall they've been doing well.

In the past week, however, one of the Orpingtons has just been hanging out in one of the nesting boxes all the time - at least all the time that I stop by the henhouse to check on them. I don't think she has laid any eggs in the past 4 days (at least before Christmas eve) and I don't know that she's ever leaving the box - at least not for any length of time.

I opened the back of the nesting boxes up and picked her up and looked her over - she didn't see agitated or anything but definitely just wanted to sit. Typically the others will run around if I set them down. She just sat down on the ground. I looked at her feet and vent and didn't see anything interesting. It was weird that she just sat down, though.

They have plenty of food and water and the henhouse stays pretty clean (for a henhouse).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    When I have a broody sitting and I remove her from her box she will just sit where ever I put her until I pick her up again or she gets agitated and goes back in her box. Sounds like you may have a broody [​IMG]

3. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    One of my BO's (my biggest girl) loves to sit on the eggs. She is not broody, but she loves to go in and tuck and roll the eggs under her, sits and then proceeds to let my whole neighborhood within a mile radius know she has eggs!

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:Sounds to me like she is broody or becoming broody !!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2008
  5. itsmatt

itsmatt Out Of The Brooder

Mar 19, 2007
    Yeah, I guess she's broody. We got her out of the box today and she eventually went off to join the others sunning themselves in the front yard. She was sitting on one of the other bird's eggs.

Thanks for the replies,
    Matt

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by