Orpington pullets?

campingshaws

Enabler
7 Years
Aug 9, 2014
Southwest Louisiana
I bought chickens at an auction again. I'm guessing splash orpington pullets, but really have no idea. They are slightly bigger than my RIW hens and similarly aged sussex pullets.

The last is after a bath. My non-chicken friends think I'm crazy for insisting the pullets are not white, but it's super difficult to photograph their colors. The lighter one looks like she has pale yellow feather tips, like a parakeet.

ETA: These pullets have red plastic clips around their wings up by the shoulder. Any way to find out what that means?

Last edited:
<---total NOOB!

I may be new to Orpingtons, but aren't they supposed to have whitish legs? 

Haha, I have no idea. I was mostly going on head size and body shape?

I still can't tell a Delaware from a light sussex, or a Dominique from a barred rock from a cuckoo marans. I ended up with speckled sussex from an auction because I thought they were jubilee orpingtons. :/

I'm just learning as I go, one dumb mistake at a time. :D

One more, side-by-side with a sussex pullet.

Last edited:
Haha, I have no idea. I was mostly going on head size and body shape?

I still can't tell a Delaware from a light sussex, or a Dominique from a barred rock from a cuckoo marans. I ended up with speckled sussex from an auction because I thought they were jubilee orpingtons.
hmm.png

I'm just learning as I go, one dumb mistake at a time.
big_smile.png

One more, side-by-side with a sussex pullet.
Im not sure if their suppos eto have white legs.Im guessing white olive eggers.

They are not orpingtons, as orpingtons have super pale pink legs. I believe you have an Easter Egger. They come in all colors. If it lays blue/green eggs, it's EE. If it lays dark olive colored eggs, then she is an olive Egger.

Ok, so I did a little googling and saw that the splash/lavender/blue/dark orpingtons seem to have darker legs. Fwiw.

Olive eggers would be an amerecauna/marans cross? That doesn't seem to fit, though I admittedly know very little. And I've always wanted olive eggs. ;)

It MIGHT be a splash orp... But blue/splash/black/lavender orpingtons usually don't have comepletely slate legs like yours. Mine have the pale skin, with dark patches all over the legs. Also the comb. Dark orps will have combs like the legs. Pale pink with dark patches.

As for the possibility of Olive Egger, yes! Most olive eggers are americauna/maran crosses (well, most of them...) but some olive eggers don't carry the blue egg gene from the americauna and lay brown eggs.

And lastly Easter Egger. I'm not exactly sure what cross with an Americauna makes an Easter Egger... Most lay blue/light green/pink eggs! But again they may not carry the blue egg gene.

I hope I've helped! your girl is definitely pretty, whether she be a SO, OE, or EE!
1f603.png

Bottoms of the feet are good places to check true skin color. If they're pinkish white, they could be Orpingtons. They're kinda rounded and fluffy looking. The color doesn't look quite splash, though. Splash shouldn't have the yellow tinge to it. They could be someone's project color (I'm not sure what that would be, though) or simply mixed breed birds. The plastic sounds like they're wing banded, which is usually only done be serious breeders, so that does make me wonder about their history
hmm.png

Bottoms of the feet are good places to check true skin color. If they're pinkish white, they could be Orpingtons. They're kinda rounded and fluffy looking. The color doesn't look quite splash, though. Splash shouldn't have the yellow tinge to it. They could be someone's project color (I'm not sure what that would be, though) or simply mixed breed birds. The plastic sounds like they're wing banded, which is usually only done be serious breeders, so that does make me wonder about their history :/

Thanks! I'll go check in the morning.

Yes, I realized after looking a bit more that splash didn't mean what I thought it meant, but neither does mottled. The darker one has a very lavender shade about her, but the lighter is more of the yellowish. Their "mottling" just looks like shadows when I try to take pictures.

At the auction there were about five cages of lavender birds, one that wasn't a true splash (I guess) but had definite darker patches over white, then these two, and then more lavender. The only lavender I've heard about have been orpingtons, so that's what I guessed they were. (The auctioneer only says pullet, hen, or rooster except for chicks.) They very well could have all come from someone's color project.

This is from quarantine. On the next overcast day I'm taking more pictures. The sun just burns them out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom