Orpington pullets?

Wait--my Lavender Orpingtons have dark grayish/blue legs. Is this not normal? Could they be light Lav Orps? All of my Orps have big round eyes like this (am I crazy, or is that a breed characteristic?)

Foggy morning! Here are the new pics. Sorry they're covered in poop; I promise I keep a clean coop. :/

Bottoms of feet.

Wing tag.

Iris.

Opal and Iris.

I'm just making a wild guess here, but I wonder if this is what you'd get if you had an accidental crossing of lavender and splash. I've got a decent grasp of the genetics of each, but not sure how they'd interact. That still wouldn't explain the yellow-ish tint.

I guess they're mixed color Orpingtons, would be my best guess. Be interesting to see if they go broody or not. It would also be interesting genetically to put them under a black rooster, to offset whatever recessive they've got going on and see if you could tell what color they are.

A black rooster like an orpington? Or just any black rooster?

Chicken genetics are so neat. I've browsed over those threads a few times, but all the codes make my head swim. ;)

Oh, me too. I don't get all the codes, etc. I just skim the surface
wink.png

If you've got a black Orp, why not. I wouldn't buy one especially for this, as the offspring won't be recognizable as a pure breed anyway. Something like an Australorp would make nice babies, also.

Oh, me too. I don't get all the codes, etc. I just skim the surface ;)

If you've got a black Orp, why not. I wouldn't buy one especially for this, as the offspring won't be recognizable as a pure breed anyway. Something like an Australorp would make nice babies, also. 

I have a small flock and just one roo, a speckled sussex. Maybe I'll try it later on, though, because now I want to know! Roos are usually pretty easy to come by around here.

Thanks for all your help!

I'm just making a wild guess here, but I wonder if this is what you'd get if you had an accidental crossing of lavender and splash. I've got a decent grasp of the genetics of each, but not sure how they'd interact. That still wouldn't explain the yellow-ish tint.

I guess they're mixed color Orpingtons, would be my best guess. Be interesting to see if they go broody or not. It would also be interesting genetically to put them under a black rooster, to offset whatever recessive they've got going on and see if you could tell what color they are.
x2

I think that this is possible.

Back
Top Bottom