Orpington question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by columbiacritter, Jun 18, 2010.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    This Christmas my husband and I are buying an incubator as our Christmas present and I would really like to get some eggs from show quality orpingtons. I love their attitude, appearance and hardiness. My question is if I do get show quality birds do I have to keep them out of sunlight to keep their plumage at show level? I know a lot of show people make sure there's no chance at all of having sun bleached feathers on their birds, but mine have outdoor runs and free range for a while every day.

If I can't show birds who spend most thier time outside I will still get good orpingtons and have them be happy layers instead of showing.

2. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I remember reading a post from, I believe, Dan Honour saying to have vine like veggies growing up the run. Like pole beans, grapes, stuff that likes to grow over things. Pumkins water mekons. They'll block the lite and give ya something back too.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    How big of a run are you going to have?
    You can get Kennel Shading Cloth up 12' x 12'
    Any bigger than that and you might have to go to a Greenhouse Shading Cloth.
    I would recommended at least a 50% Black out but 90% would be better...

Chris

4. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    So the answer is you have to keep them out of the full sun which means no open run or free ranging. Ah well, I'll be happy with good healthy round fluffy orpingtons wandering around my yard in the sun. I'll know they are fabulous even if a judge never sees them.

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Out of Direct Sun....

Chris

6. lildinkem

lildinkem Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Unless I plan on showin one, they get to go where they like. IF I do show one, I put them into a portable 8' by 8' pen that I can move out of the direct sun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by