Orpington questions

harleyjo

Songster
9 Years
May 6, 2010
SW Iowa
Ok, so I have had a couple of Buffs for about a month or so now. Given to me because the previous owner didn't want them anymore. They are approx. 20 weeks right now. I am observing the characteristics of them deciding whether or not I want anymore of them when I get new chicks in the spring.

Here is what I have seen so far.

1. Very docile and sweet.
2. They don't like to go out in the weather(rain) as much as my BSL do.
3. They will forage but again not as much as my BSL's do. Everyone else can be out of the coop running around in the grass and they are content sitting in the coop.
4. They seem for lack of a better word, prissy. They seem to prance across the yard. A whole different gait then the BSL.

I could see them very mothering and may keep one or two around for broody purposes but don't know in my grand scheme of good egg layers if they are going to be the best breed to have around.

Am I totally off the mark on this breed or does any of this ring true?

My Buff Orpingtons have been laying 4 to 6 eggs a week each. I LOVE them, but one in particular is the BEST! Just like a dog!

Keep them...you won't regret it!

I just got an older Orp. and she seems to like to sit a a lot. either if shes in her house, or outside. She isn't the friendliest...yet
wink.png

Mine are just 26 weeks, but they are pretty active.
I have dirt .. everywhere they've been .. and they are always chasing dragonflies or tilling the garden.

Mine are friendly and I make a point to handle them everyday. And, they love it when "momma" comes out to free them and feed them
smile.png

If they are not out of the coop by 7 .. they make quite the ruckus.

I'm a novice, though .. so, it's just my humble opinion.

They are great layers!! I also get 5ish eggs a week from my orp hen. And she's definitely not a sitter either, always exploring. They are the best personalities, sweet, docile and not flighty at all! Maybe they are just not comfortable in their surroundings yet. Were they kept cooped up at previous place?

I have had lots of different breeds over the years, Orpingtons are the best in my opinion. Good egg layers, free ranging and a nice calm bird to have in the henhouse. Very, very broody but I have over 50 so no problems there when they stop laying to go broody on me. Last year I had 17 Broody Orp hens. Mine are always going out in the runs sunshine, rain or snow!!

I have 6 that are about that age and they free range all over my 7 acre property. Only one is laying so far (unless another one started over the weekend-I work 12 hour shifts and haven't seen them in 3 days!). Mine are not especially friendly, but if I am sitting in my chair outside one sometimes comes and hops up and sits on my arm and visits with me. It's pretty cool!

We have 2 Buffs, 2 EE's, and 2 GLW. Our buffs lay 4-5 eggs each per week and are very friendly! They are sweet and one of them is actually "top hen". Keep them, you won't regret it! (IMHO)

They aren't laying yet that I know. That is part of the problem with me keeping a lot of them. We got the chickens for eggs. I live in a small town so I can't let them run all over and can't afford to have a bunch of broody hens. So maybe if I just keep a couple of them so I have something that will go broody I will be ok.

I think they have THE best personality of all. I have raised many-a-breed. They do not lay as well as my leghorns but I don't expect them to.

Also, mine are busy all the time.

Back
Top Bottom