Orpingtons and Heat

We are sitting at 94 degrees today and my trio of Orps are running around the yard like it is 70. I have two blacks and one blue. Most of the rest of the chickens are dust bathing in the upper horse pen in the shade. LOL

Last year I put in box fans in the coop and it helped all of them quite a bit. We easily get up to 100 down here. I need to replace the one that fried last year after we had a small twister take the tree out right next to the coop. It rattled it loose and slung it. We also lost a porch on another out building when that tree fell, but luckily the chickens and other animals were just fine.

Those are beautiful birds! I almost lost one of my Buff Orps last summer, thankfully she pulled through. It's going to be a long summer.
sad.png

Why would you have misters on a flowerbed? Sprinklers I understand, but misters?

These are misters specifically designed for the garden. They emit a very fine spray over the plants, the droplets of water then drip off the leaves onto the soil. They use very few gallons per hour and it is actually a very efficient way to water the flower beds.

Here is a picture of them close to the bottom of the page;

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=28681

Theresa, I dont mind you asking the age. Those are all just about a year old now this month. I have some blacks that are two and three and they lay very good. I have a blue and splash that age too. I did give some older ones away last year and have been sorry I did. I think I will problaby keep most of my breeders till they quit laying good from now on. I have learned a few lessons in the last three years. Made some mistakes and a few things i would do different.
I am going to look at the mister things. I used a water hose and randomly misted last year. Nothing steady though. Most of my pens have shade. The ones that dont' I have tried to put shade cloth on for some releif.

forgot about the purple flower question. I don't remember the name. I bought them from a lady a bout 4 years ago and they are perrenials that come back and bloom every year about this time. Low maintianence. Some are the petunias that are perrenials too.I have a huge Gardenia that should start blooming the first of June.
Sara I try to get most of my gardening done by June and then just keep it up the rest of them time. I have been behind for a few years due to health situations in the Spring the last two years. I am going to be hoeing this afternoon and planting a few more seed The tiller is being so stubborn about cranking. I am going to get a electric one next year. I don't like gas engines.

...shave them. lol kidding. Misters and fans help with heat, and wet shaded areas are great. Be sure to offer plenty of fresh water, and throwing ice cubes in there will help cool them down.

Back
Top Bottom