Orpingtons Overheating!

tizabel_

Songster
Apr 28, 2020
North Central Washington
Hello!
I have some English Orpington chicks that are growing very quickly. I know that Orps are very cold-tolerant, which also makes them very non heat-tolerant. In the summer where I am it gets very hot, around 85-90 mid summer and occasionally up to 100 degrees. I’m not worried about them yet but I want to be prepared for when they grow up, is there anything I can do to keep them cool? Other than shade, dust bath and water?

Also I don’t know if this is in the right forum so any suggestions on where to move it would be appreciated as well.

Where do you live (general location)?

deep shade -available all day. Part of their run can be sunny, but they will need shade access all day. Not just wAter, but COLD (or at least cool) water bc chickens don’t drink water warmer than they are. Many find adding blocks of ice to a pan of water helps, the chickens like to drink in it and stand in it. Others will provide electrolyte water (along with plain water) one day per week and find it helps all flock members. Occasionally a poster will indicate that a chicken is going downhill in the heat. So, they will take that chicken into house or garage for a few hours, provide plain and electrolyte water to help get them rehydrated and cooled down.

we purchased shade cloth to cover the south side of the run...it was really hot and the shade cloth (5’ high) really reduced the heat, but allowed a lot of airflow.

Where do you live (general location)?

deep shade -available all day. Part of their run can be sunny, but they will need shade access all day. Not just wAter, but COLD (or at least cool) water bc chickens don’t drink water warmer than they are. Many find adding blocks of ice to a pan of water helps, the chickens like to drink in it and stand in it. Others will provide electrolyte water (along with plain water) one day per week and find it helps all flock members. Occasionally a poster will indicate that a chicken is going downhill in the heat. So, they will take that chicken into house or garage for a few hours, provide plain and electrolyte water to help get them rehydrated and cooled down.

we purchased shade cloth to cover the south side of the run...it was really hot and the shade cloth (5’ high) really reduced the heat, but allowed a lot of airflow.

Northern Washington.
Thanks for the advice! We have part of our run covered but I think I’ll cover more of it and the cold water is a good idea.

Yep, as much shading as you can provide. I keep liter coke bottles frozen to put in their waterer during the extreme hot weather. I refreeze them nightly. A mister helps too. Chickens love being under cool mist.

I live in middle Georgia , not only hot but humid too. I haven't noticed any heat related issues in my Orps. They will find shade or go back in their coop where there is cover if they get too hot. You might see them open or drop their wings to get some extra air flow around their bodies but no major concerns with temps. They free range early and late in the summer or on hot days. We were around 90 this weekend and no panting or other displays of being overheated.

Northern Washington.
Thanks for the advice! We have part of our run covered but I think I’ll cover more of it and the cold water is a good idea.

which side? Wet or dry? Guessing dry side with 100F temps. Lived in the Tri-Cities area in SE WA years ago. HOT, DRY, Little shade, but I did love it!!

Back
Top Bottom