Orpingtons - Roos?

OKprairiegirll

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jul 2, 2013
Oklahoma
Help me here, please. I have 2 blue Orpingtons and 1 buff - there were straight run from a local breeder. They are about 2 months old and I'm wondering what I have. Calling this one a roo? Hen?
Hen?

Thanks for your help.

Thank you, was afraid that was the case. :-( Really wanted my little buff to be a pullet but her comb and waddle started to develop - ah, well. They're the only two roosters on this funny farm. Guess I'll keep the one with the best attitude. :)

I may very well be wrong, but they all look like pullets to me? Look at the back of the neck and the base of the tail, is there any pointy thin feathers developing?

Mrs K

I've been looking at that as well. The buff is starting to develop her comb and wattle but tail feathers are almost non-existent. I do believe #1 is a roo and his tail feathers are beginning to point I think. I am satisfied the other blue is a hen - she has a bushy tail but no comb and wattle yet. But, big questions about the buff. These are my first orpingtons but looking at pix, they seem to have a lot of bushy tail - even the hens. Guess I'll have to wait to hear a crow. :D

That's a pretty prodigious comb and wattles on that first bird, screams rooster.

It's the hackle feathers(all around the neck) and the saddle feathers(in front of his tail and down the sides) on a cockerel that will start to come in skinny and pointy and very shiny at about 3 months old.

Back
Top Bottom