Orpingtons VS. Australorps?

I have both and they are equally loved! They have matured at the same rate...the lorps only being slightly smaller but a larger egg indeed. Go ahead with the lorps, you will not regreet it! Before you know it you will wish you had a roo!!!!

15761_img_0650.jpg

Hi,
We have both and I think we like the Australorps better. They are by far more friendly and not as "flighty" as our buffs.
maybe just our particular hens but we have a black and blue as well and they seem a little more "scary" than our Australorps.
I wouldn't hesitate getting more of the Australorps, but I would hesitate on the Orps.
Best of luck to you.
Angela

Love both these breeds. A *good* buff orp (color like a gold watch) is prettier, but one with mediocre color is just a chicken.

Even my worst black australorp is gorgeous. They aren't just black--in the sun they shine beetle-green.

My australorps have better temperaments and are better layers. Also, as some have mentioned, they eat less. This can be important if money is tight.

However, I also have one black australorp who is HUGE. Bigger than my biggest buff orp. I'm guessing she eats a ton.
smile.png

These are both wonderful breeds. I'd say go by color. If you HAVE to have the gold, wait for the orps. Otherwise, get the australorps and you'll be very happy.

eta: Both can go broody. None of mine have yet. My broodiest hens are one speckled sussex and both my gold laced Wyandottes. Go figure.

Last edited:
Hi! I don't have any orpingtons, but I love my two black australorp hens, Juliet & Lynn. They're very docile and don't put up too much fuss being held and hugged. They've been very patient with my little silkie pullet, Snowflake, who has absolutely no sense of personal space. She will frequently lay right against them as they dust bathe and even sticks her head in their wingpits. As for eggs, as a first time owner, they have exceeded my expectations. Right now they're averaging at least 1 egg each per day and they're comparable to the jumbo size eggs that you'd get from the store.

Back
Top Bottom