OSB on Coop

MrChickenGuy

Chirping
May 24, 2015
Kentucky
I am using OSB for the walls on my coop. For the floor I have used Hardiebacker board for a support base and used OSB to create replacable floor pans to go over the Hardiebacker that can be pulled in and out for cleaning. The OSB used has been given 3+ coats of paint and primer and all edges will be caulkes and sealed. I suppose my question is how did painted OSB hold up for you all? Any tips?

OSB isn't your best choice. The elements will get to it faster than regular plywood regardless or paint and caulking. You should be able to get a lower grade plywood or maybe some tyvek and vinyl siding over the OSB

I used osb on the coop I just built. Cheapest decent plywood I could find was16 bucks a sheet, the osb was seven dollars. Never would have made that choice ten years ago, but osb has changed a lot since then.

Yeah, OSB then Tyvek and vinyl over that. The same as we build houses. Tyvek is a building wrap that we use when building houses, it will also reduce drafts and whatnot. The vinyl would be a cheap solution to make it look good!

Also, don't forget that ventilation is very very important. Roof vents, gable end vents, windows..air flow from every direction. Chickens give of lots of moisture so there has to be a lot of ventilation!

Thats what I had read on another post. I had been on here referring to posts for weeks so I was like "I may as well just make an account!" I plan on having a decent amount of ventilation and some screen windows with doors so they can catch a breeze in the summer heat. Thank you for all of your advice!

Back
Top Bottom